Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Installation Of server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNorris

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2007
US
Hello,

I am re installing windows server 2003 and have two questions,

Can I set it up not to require an admin and or pass log in every time the system boots?

Can I just have the system shut down or re start without it asking me for a reason?

Thank you in advance

Not requiring a username and password is completely bypassing the security of the system.

[google]windows server 2003 shutdown event tracker[/google]

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

So the log off is easy to disable. If I use a firewall and I'm in an office on a network, What would be the advantages or dis advantages of not using a log in? I loke to have the server re boot every day on its own as a specific time.

Well, I can't see the reasoning behind making servers reboot daily. And I certainly would NEVER recommend that a server log in unattended. That's asking for trouble - not to mention the server is now using more resources keeping a profile loaded when it's truly not needed.

If you have the server properly configured using best practices, and you have remote access to the server, you should be fine.

And just because you have a firewall means NOTHING. Just as many security breaches come from inside the network.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that would advocate auto logons.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back