Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Install of XP on Home built machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencern

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
Hello,
I've just built my first computer and am now trying to install XP home onto it. I keep getting an error message though and the machine has to be restarted.

Here's what happens:
I put the XP CD into the drive and reboot. A message says to boot from CD press any key. (If I wait to long I get ntldr missing error-don't know if this matters right now)

Windows setup starts and asks to install windows. I press enter and then it goes to the licensing agreement, and then to the partition screen. I select the partition I made with my Seagate disk that is NTFS and go on. It asks to format then, I formatted completely once, and have also tried just leaving it with current settings. It makes sure I want to erase the previous/windows folder and starts to install.

Once setup has reached 18%-20%, it will stop and bring up an error screen saying either a thread tried to release a resource it did not own, OR irql_not_less_or_equal. It also gives a stop code of 0x000000E3. It says to try turning off BIOS memory caching and shadowing. I went into the BIOS setup and disabled the l2 cache and the system BIOS chaceable options, but that didn't help any.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? All of the components for the system were brand new, so I'm not sure if it would be a hardware problem unless its a conflict.

Thanks a lot,
Spencer

Some troubleshooting help here.

314063 - Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A Error in Windows XP

281317 - "Stop 0x000000E3 RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED" Error Message

A RAM diagnostic memory checker that is bootable might be worth a try.

Just add - how did you create the partition originally?
'I select the partition I made with my Seagate disk ' - does this mean you created it before you started XP install? If so, I'd suggest trying again - but delete this partition (select and D) during the install process and create a new one using XP's tools.

PS. Just one other thing - does your bios include a virus checker and if so, is it enabled? If it is, disable it.

My 2 cents would be to install 95/98 from a boot disk, once you know the machine is fine, then install XP over the existing OS and you can then remove the old OS from XP, it worked a treat for me when I did it.

A clean install is always prefferred to an upgrade.

I would definitely try temporarily changing the RAM stick if other fixes have not worked

I'm have the EXACT same problem and tried everything to NO avail.

Hi.
If all parts are new then the the virus protection in the BIOS and the already created partition is the place to start. Memory is one of the worst problems to troubleshoot and one of the least likely to be the problem; also the one to check because it's the quickest to solve. These should resolve your problems. Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

im new to xp. so the question is does xp home support ntfs. i know xp pro does but i didnt think xp home did. take care ...Jim

jbmprods, yes home uses NTFS the same as Pro. But how is this question related to this topic?

i just thought it might be a problem with the original post if xp didnt support ntfs my mistake.

always learning...thanks jim

Hi All
I had the same problem as Spencern has, but I'm on the machine now I was having the problem with. I have a logitech keyboard with all the buttons on top. I hit one of the buttons (user) I believe and low and behold windows loaded without a single problem. I thing the people on here are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back