Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New install of drivings in 1 system for another system... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajajakr

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
US
I couldn't get a new build to recognize the new HHD so I installed a used HHD with the OS on it. I got the system to boot originally, started to install the different drivers and did a reboot and now the system doesn't boot with the CPU in it. One thing I found out is the the Mobo doesn't support the CPU I booted with unless I update the BIOS.

Does it make sense to take the new HHD and hook it up as a slave in one of my other systems, install the OS, install the needed drivers and BIOS update, and then set it up as a master in the new system and see if it will boot then. "Patience is but a waste of time"

No, you'll probably have a problem machine. They come back to bite you at the most inopportune times. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks
Next question, If the mobo supports the CPU I want to put in, how do I get it to boot so that I can install the BIOS update the CPU needs? "Patience is but a waste of time"

Off a floppy is the tried and true method. Manufacturer's web site should have instructions. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks all,
I should have been more clear on my last question.
New board and HHD.
Do I install OS and all other drivers(video,sound,HHD,ect) before I before I install the BIOS update for CPU?
The Mobo directions tell one way, the maxtor people tell me another way, and help guides even have different opinions.
Thanks
Gary "Patience is but a waste of time"

As soon as I get the RMA board back I'll try it, Thanks. "Patience is but a waste of time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back