Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Install of 2003 - Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikk67

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2004
CA
Hi,

I have a question about installing Exch. 2003 on a new Windows 2003 SBS box. I already have a 2003 Domian controller that is my primary AD server for all of my users and resources. If I install 2003 to a new box with SBS, will this essentially become a sort of backup domain controller for my network as well? I'm assuming this because AD will replicate to this new system...would it not? Do I need to install the SBS as a sub-domain for this to work or child domain? Or do I simply add it as another domain on my network and create a trust?

I'm a little confused...as you can see. :) Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

P'

Unlike the old WinNT days, Win2k3 can change modes without having to rebuild. The recommended configuration for an Exchange server is to have it as a member of the domain.

You simply install 2003 server and join it to the domain as you would any workstation. Once that is done, you can build your Exchange network on it.

Thanks for that! I will do this. My other question though is...will the AD replicate to the Exchange server once it is installed? I'm curious because if this is the case, I can use it as a backup should my priary fail? Or am I way off here.

Thnx again.

P

If you need a secondary domain controller, then run dcpromo.exe after you install the server OS. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions to make it a DC in an existing domain (make sure you have the account information handy for an account with Schema and Enterprise Admin rights). This will replicate all the AD information over to the new server.

Another recommend practice is to move the Infrastructure Master FSMO to the new DC to streamline replication after the DC is built. This should all be done prior to loading Exchange.

If you load Exchange on a member server (vice a DC), the Exchange server will pull all AD information from a DC but will not maintain any copies of the AD locally. AD is only maintained on DC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back