Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new HDD, your tips please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracey

Programmer
Oct 16, 2000
NZ
Hi

Ive got myself a new Hard Drive, (seagate 60Gb yahoo!!) and im going to use this as the master on my computer. The existing 8Gb HDD will be just extra storage space.

My plan is to remove old HDD, install new HDD, install win2000 on new HDD, add old HDD as slave, transfer data etc, then format to remove old OS.

I know there are issues with two copies of win2000 on same machine, from your experience, is this the recommended procedure?

As far as I am aware, there should be no problems with Win2k operating system. If you have Office 2k or Office XP, you may have an issue with these on the new HDD.

If you have these Office products, then during the installation, they will notify you about the licensing issue, and give you a 1-800 number to call Microsoft. They will give you a new activation code.
Is it Happy Hour yet?
cheers.gif

I recommend that you use the same file system on both drives

both NTFS or both FAT32 etc

When you copy to new hdd watch for the w2k 0x07b blue screen. with a service pack installed the pin settings may change after you copy to the hdd. Tek-tips has a very long thread on this if you have not had this issue. may or may not happen with the switch. I have a western digital and a maxtor drive. WD is master pin setting is the same for it as if it was the only HDD on the cable. The maxtor is on slave pin setting. ...... Thats the only way my system will boot and find the drives.(win2000 pro sp3)
:)

Tracey - I've done that hundreds (literally) of times and it's without a doubt the quickest and easiest way. It just means you have to do a little housework to tidy up after you've moved data around. The cleaner way would be to image the old drive onto the new one and resize it, but this can be tricky if you've never done it before. Either way is good, and in both cases you can always revert back to your original set-up to re-think things if you get stuck.

If i understand his question right he is not plannin on dualbootin the system..
Just set the sys up as u where planned to do(new HD master, old one slave)..install W2K on the new hd,partition it while u are at it ... after the installation u wil have full acces to the second 9GB HD, transfer the files and reformat it ..
Or u can set up the New HD as only HD of the system, install it and after installation add the 'old' HD and transfer data.(remember the jumper settings)
Have fun :)

You won't have any trouble doing what you want to do.

Another suggestion might be to back up all your data onto a CD. Then set up your old hard drive (8gb) as a Master and new hard drive (60gb) as a Slave. Reformat the old drive and only put the operating system on it and then create 2 partitions on the new drive. One for programs and the other for data.

Scott

All good so far by the looks.

1. I am a she

2. I will not be dual booting, just really was wondering if my machine would "spit the dummy" if i had win2000 on new drive, then tried to access old drive for data xfer while old win2000 was still on it.

3. I plan to have the OS on the new drive because it is a faster drive. keeping the os on the old drive is not an option IMHO.

cheers for your input guys (and girls?)
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back