Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New HD into W2K Pro machine help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonah

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
I want to install a new 200G HD into my old PIII-733 machine. I have an Asus P3V4X mobo. Have been running W2K Pro with SP4 for long time. Can I just take out my current two HDs, plug in new one, use 4 floppy boot disc, and then do CD install just like a reformat/install on an existing C drive? Should I do latest drivers and bios from Asus first or wait? I am used to doing an annual reformat/clean install of O/S, pulling out all cards except video etc etc.
Thanks for help here.

Pop the old drives out, pop the new one in, install.

In my experience, Windows 2000 has been the least troublesome OS to install from scratch (at least on the Windows side of things).

Sometimes I've had a couple of problems when I've attempted to install it on O-L-D machines, but a ~733 P3 should be fine.

"I would rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy..."

-Shrubble

install"...use the 4 boot floppys and then the CD when directed to? This is what I am used to for reinstalling the O/S each time.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back