Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new hardware detected on every reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

efil

Technical User
Mar 15, 2005
CA
Hi all,
I have a XP Pro SP2 running on an IBM ThinkPad R40. Brand new install. But for the life of me, every time I connect my printer (Lexmark 323) with either a parallel cable or a usb to firewire cable it detects it as a new piece of hardware every time I reboot. Also, when I've gone through the wizard of installing the hardware, it say's its discovered a new piece of hardware again! It doesn't stop, I've gone thru the wizard at least 8 times. I'm going nuts.
What I've done so far:
-Gone into the registry and changed HLM>System>CurrentControlSet>Enum> deleted LPTENUM
Rebooted... same deal
-removed the hardware printer and let it rediscover it and also reinstalled it not going thru and going thru the wizard

I think I've done everything I could think of and I hope that someone can help me.

Much appreciation in advance.

Do you have the latest drivers from Lexmark for your printer.

Yup! I tried the one from the CD and the one from their web site.

What has worked for me in Windows 2000 is to find the inf file that pertains to the hardware in question and rename it.

Regards.

This may be out in left field but who knows sometimes.
I have run into situations where the printer doesnt install properly if i have the printer installed when i install the drivers. The drivers must be installed first, then install the printer, physically, that is.
Dont know if this applies in your case, but, of course, the manual will tell you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

thank you all, I'm going not by the laptop in question, but I should be tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted as to how I make out.

Thanks again all!

Another left field post - and I can't see how this would apply to a laptop BUT, I had a similiar "New Hardware Detected" problem with a PC with an on-board sound card and a PCI sound card installed. The cause was that the on-board card had not been disabled in the BIOS. You could try checking the BIOS settings, although I can't think of any settings likely to cause the problem with a printer connection unless you have upgraded the internal hardware or modified the BIOS settings in the past.

Also, what does the manual say about installation.
You could also go to the mfgr website and check out their FAQ for this printer and their other tech support info on this printer.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

ARG! Thanks for all the great advice... but I'm still getting that message. I think I'm going to go nuts!

I'm not sure if this turns off all notify balloons on the task bar but you can try this...

Drill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic
rosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Traynotify

In the right pane, you see BalloonTip REG_DWORD.
Change the Value to 0, and they are gone forever.

..I'll keep lookin around for my regs regarding balloons....

Hi Auger282,
That worked great! but I still get the Found New Hardware Box to enter a user name and password. I can cancel it and it will still work fine. All hardware is installed and I have no problems. But that box still comes up every time. Very annoying.
I went into the security policy and allowed all users to be able to mount and dismount hardware, but its not recognizing the user to allow them the rights to. Very strange. But thanks!
BTW: if you go to HCU>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance>
Make a DWord called EnableBalloonTips and set it to 0 that gets rid of ballons. I think that's what you're looking for.

Regards!

You mentioned that the system doesn't recognise the user to allow then rights to mount and dismount hardware. I've seen a similar sort of problem when installing a printer when the user id being used wasn't in the local administrators group. If memory serves me correctly, it was becasue the installation was, if you like, a two part process, it installed the software fine as the user, but there was another part which made a system change, which the user didn't have the correct permissions to perform. Every time they rebooted, it was the same thing, as the system would find an 'incomplete' install. It never actually came back with an access denied type message (although check the event viewer too to see if its logged anything out of the ordinary)

If you've checked everything else, it may be worth a quick look at the account permissions, if you've not already done so.

best of luck with it,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back