Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosterhus

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
We have a Novell 5 server that we hired someone to add a hard drive to. He came and put it in and was adding it to the array. I took about 5 hours and still was not done so he thought it was locked up and rebooted it. Now the server will not come up at all. If nothing else I really need to get user documents. Any ideas or help would be appreciated?

hard ware raid?
what make

what exactly are you getting on screen or from box

"did he leave spur marks on the floor"

On the Compaq/HP Proliant servers, if you reboot/power down a server during a hardware RAID recovery/expansion, the server will not be affected.

It would be nice to know your configuration....

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your responses. I will try to answer your questions but I am not very familiar with servers that is why I hired this guy to put in the hd. The server is an IBM Netfinity 5000, It was running Novell 5, It has 4(including the new one) 9.1gb SCSI hard drives. 2 of the hard drives were mirrored they are the ones that were affected, containing sys volume and vol 1, which held applications, and user docs. The other hard drive was not mirrored and just held images.

The server just goes to a black screen that says no operating system at the top.

....and yes he left spur marks.

Thanks again for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back