Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW HARD DRIVE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

juxtabeginner

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2001
US
I have just purchase a new hard drive (Hitachi 40GB)for my Sony Vaio Notebook (which only worked for a little less than one month before the HD quit...I sent it back and they "fixed" it and about two weeks later the HD had the same problem) that was several years ago and now I want to bring it back to life. I want to install it myself, but before I begin I just wanted to find out how to do it the right way. How do I format a drive that has nothing on it and I am assuming it has nothing on it? I think I have to do a DOS FORMAT command or do I just tell the BIOS to do it?
TIA.

probably the most user friendly way would be to put the hard drive in the notebook, then insert a windows 2000 or xp etc bootable CD ROM. Then power up the notebook and press a key when prompted to boot from CD. Then just choose your partition size and NTFS or FAT depending on the operating system. After that just install the operating system and you should be good to go.

If it does not prompt you to press a key you may have to turn on the "boot from other device" option inside the BIOS. You can usually access this by pressing del or f1 as the computer starts up, then scroll through the menus till you find boot from: 1st 2nd 3rd, and set the cdrom as first, then reboot.

Perhaps som low level testing of the drive first would be smart .(can also partition it if you want)
Iv'e posted a thread about a boot cd with lots of repair utilities and such in another forum. Download the ISO for free amd burn it . Add it to your favorite collection of repair tools.

thread779-679737

//Regards Soaplover

I've removed every screw that I can find that might be holding the notebook (Sony Vaio FX150K)together and I still can't figure out how to open it to get at the hard drive. Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that will help me get past this hurdle. I have added and changed HDs on my desktop. TIA

Is this question to stupid to get an answer? Sorry, but I have tried everything short of a sledge hammer to open this notebook. I really do need a helping hand. TIA

Nothing specific, but often manufacturers hide the screws. Pull off any rubber 'feet'. Use screwdriver to 'feel' for a screw hole under any labels - with a little force, you shoud see a depression under the label when you find one.

Sometimes the keyboard can be removed and the hard drive is underneath it on some laptops. The problem is usually the plastic parts just snap together on a lot of laptops.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Follow up...There is a panel on the laptop just above the keyboard. It contains the speakers and three keys that turn the laptop on/off. This is secured by a single screw on the side. Remove it an you will find a ribbon connection for the keyboard. Unconnect it and a screw to be able to remove the keyboard. Under the keyboard you will find the hard drive. It is secured by five screws. Remove them and the hard drive is yours. Replace the piece of crap. Let me remind you at this time: The hard drive failed within two weeks of having purchased the SONY laptop. I called...they sent a container to ship it back...I did...four weeks later it was returned...it lasted one week and had exactly the same problem...mistakenly I said screw it...the laptop has set around for two years with a defective hard drive...don't make the same mistake...sent it back and back and back until they fix it. Will I ever buy a SONY computer again???....NEVER!!!!
I want to thank all of those individuals that answered my plea, without their help the laptop would still be a paper weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back