Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Hard drive installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahnsolo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2000
US
Ok,

I've done this before but it's been awhile. I am trying to install a new hard drive. I changed the jumper settings on the new hard drive to a slave. Then I connected the cables and powered on and it says that no operating system could be found. So I updated the bios (it's a compaq) and still the same problem. The reason I am doing this is that I want to use norton ghost to transfer an image from the old drive to the new.

Thanks

if this is the only drive in the system you will need to fdisk and format before using. Then add an operating system. If you now have two drives on the same cable make sure they are not both set to slave. If you have two drives on two different cables make sure the one wir=th the operating system is on the primary ide interface not the secondary.

The current one existing in the system is set to "master", and the new one I just added is set to "slave" and they are both on the same cable.

Is the bios detecting both drives? If nothing was done to the original drive try disconnecting the second drive and see if the OS is found.

When I plug in the new drive, then neither of the drives are recognized. The computer is a compaq presario so when i try to go into the system bios it is very limited and does not allow user defined settings.

Some hard drives have a distinction between a Master with no Slave and a Master with Slave. If the jumper setting is incorrect on the Master, it's possible that neither drive will be properly recognized.

TTFN

I tried all the jumper settings on both drives; cable select, master, slave, etc. I even tried taking the old hard drive out and putting the new one in alone as a master and my compaq didn't recognize it. I pulled another hard drive from an older computer and tried the master/slave with my current hard drive and it recognized no problem. So i think the problem is that the compaq either is not compatible with the particular brand of maxtor or the drive is bad.

Beginning to sound that way... If the new drive cannot be detected or otherwise recognized, then it might well be fried for some reason.

TTFN

Ok, I found out what the problem was. I contacted Maxtor and they responded by saying that "There is little to no chance that their hard drive could be defective" They sound very confident about their products. I have to use a ata-133 pci adaptor card and I have to upgrade to at least windows 98 se or greater. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back