Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Graphics Card - WMP11 colour problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploper001

Technical User
Oct 5, 2006
GB
I just replaced the GeForce2 MX 400 in my home PC with a GeForce 6200. I installed nVidia's latest drivers, and it works great, except that (and I'm assuming this is what's causing the problem), now when I open a DivX file in WMP11, the colours are screwed up. Basically, the colour information appears to be above where the corresponding black and white information is by like 100 pixels.

I thought it was a codec problem, so I reinstalled the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. No help. Interestingly, all video files still play fine on Media Player Classic, just not on WMP11. And WMV files play fine in both players...

Any ideas?

I would suggest you update the DX9 to the latest and see if that alleviates your problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Wow thanks for those links I'll check them out.

Bit more info:

- This was a slipstreamed install made in December 2006 with SP2, WMP11, IE7, DirectX 9.0c, and all updates up to that point.
- I tried uninstalling WMP11...when it reverted to WMP9, the problem was gone. After reinstalling WMP11, the problem was back.

i reccomend you uninstall the DivX & Xvid codecs you are currently using and use CCCP codec pack. Ive never had a problem with this since i switched to MMP11, amazinly WMP can even handle Matroska .mkv files now without problems.

OK, a few updates:

- DXDiag reports no problems and all of the tests complete fine.
- Only DivX and possibly XVid files appear to be problematic - I think it's any file that uses the "ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder" according to WMP11.
- This is quite weird - if I go into WMP11's Advanced Performance Options and disable "Use High Quality Mode" then they play back in full colour fine. It's only when this box is checked that the colour problem occurs.

Obviously I want this box checked as it makes a difference to the video quality - especially on DVDs. Does any of this info help to discover what the problem could be?

What version of the FFDSHOW filter have you installed?

have you tried the latest (ffdshow_rev896_20070208)?

Ben

I think the version that I'm using is rev895 since that's in the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

I installed rev896 and the problem is still there :(

Hmmm... Strange problem indeed...

I can't repreduce the problem...

I also have WMP 11 installed, the KLite Mega Codec pack, and the latest FFDSHOW version, all playing on a nVidia 6600GT...

and am not experiencing the problems you have...

Only thing that I can think of at this moment, would be that you may need to clean out the drivers of the video card (with DriverCleaner) and then reinstall them afresh...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back