Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New fault developed after years. Modem not found when PC restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

laite

Technical User
Aug 7, 2001
GB
Yes, after many years of faithful service my SM56 PCI Speakerphone has developed an odd fault.

When I restart the PC the error message - "cannot detect the modem... maybe switched off, incorrectly installed blah blah etc..."

The only thing that gets it working again is to:
uninstall the software, physically remove the modem, restart, restart again, physically set up the modem again, follow the instal wizard and then it works, only to play up again the next time the PC restarts. I have one clue. The wizard fails to find sm5698.cat and I have to locate it on the D: drive, on the Motorola installation CDROM. Is there any where I should be putting this drive "sm5698.cat" on the C drive so it would work permanently?

It's driving me nuts!!! Please, any suggestions would be extremely gratefully received.

Hi, I just installed motorola modem on my uncle's win98se machine and am having same problem. did you get any replys?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back