Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Exchange server isn't sending messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToyodaTim

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
I just added a new Exchange 2000 server to our organization. We had one already running Exchange 2000 with an SMTP connector for Internet Email. I added the second server and moved a mailbox from the old server to the new server. Now I can't send or receive mail to anyone from the mailbox I moved. I checked and made sure that both servers are in the same routing group and they are. Is there something I'm missing here? This is the first time I've set up an Exchange server so my knowledge is somewhat limited. Any ideas would be great.

Both servers are running Exchange 2000 with SP3. The old one is running Windows 2000 Server with SP3, the new one is running W2K Server with SP4.

-Tim

This is a wild guess. Use it at your own risk.

Export that mailbox to a .pst file. Delete that mailbox's useraccount in AD, and then recreate it on the new server. Manually import it in to the new accounts mailbox.

Sorry, that's the best I got for that problem.

Here's an update...When sending mail to an internal address of a user on the other server, I get the following message bounced back to me from the System Administrator:

You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<server.domain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com

Here's another update...when I try to send an email to the user on the new server from an external address (Yahoo mail) i get the following message back from Postmaster:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, because the message was
forwarded more than the maximum allowed times. This could indicate a mail loop.

Do I have some DNS stuff misconfigured or something?

I ran into this earlier this week but can't recall the exact issue. Go to support.microsoft.com and enter move mailbox server exchange in the search field.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back