Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New exchange installation with old exchange sever

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsunra

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2003
AU
G'day All

I'm having a problem with a Exchange 2003 server and I have installed exchange 2003 on a new machine. Both machine are on the same network and in the same AD. I moved a test account to the new server and the account can send an email but not receive any.

SMTP is installed on both servers and when I telnet to port 25 on the new server and send a message the account recives the message

Message sent from and external account are held on the first server. I need to know how to make the connection to the new server. Currently DNS points to the old server and I will not change anything in DNS until the new server is 100%

All out going mail is routed to our ISP via smart host.

Thanks for your help

Rich

Zelandakh Yes they are in the same group

58sniper MTA x.400 services is running on both machines

What's in the Application & System logs on each server? If the MTA is running on both sides, messages should be going through.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I'm having a very similar issue.

I have 1 exchange server on 1 subnet and am building a new one on another subnet.

I am in exactly the same place as rsunra whereby a user on the new server can send mail, but not receive. What I'm also seeing is that I can telnet on port 25 from the existing server to the new one, but not from the new one to the existing one. There are routers between the subnets but no firewalling or anything.

I'm stumped.

Thanks

Rossco

I can.

I thought that it was maybe an issue with Exchange being installed onto a DC, so I setup a PC as a server and have just installed Exchange onto it but I'm getting exactly the same thing. This time though, I can telnet to the original server from the new pc/server using port 25. Again a test user can send but not receive mail.

It must be some kind of mail routing issue or something? But seeing as I know little about Routing groups etc, I dunno!

Right,

have discovered something which make no sense to me, but it works.

We have all our mail routed through messagelabs, there was an FQDN for a smarthost at messagelabs. If I remove the smarthost, everything works fine.

Anyone seen this before?

It's OK like this in the short term but I'll need to get it resolved if I end up keeping this test server in place.

OK, so you've got a 2 box Exchange org and for some reason the inter org messages are travelling via the SMTP connector. That's your problem. They ought to travel using the MTA. Is there anything in the event log?

No, there was nothing obvious in the event log. It wasn't just the inter org messages which were the problem. Incoming internet mail got as far as my original server, but it couldn't find it's way to the new server. It seems that the original server couldn't get mail to the new one, for whatever reason.

I used to have an SMTP connector which forwarded mail to Messagelabs, which I deleted and now it works OK. If I add the messagelabs server as a smart host on the virtual smtp server, it breaks again.

So it sounds like you are doing intra org transport with SMTP. It is just as good. Choices are to leave it since it is working, or get the smarthost back but first you'd have to get the intra org off SMTP.

According to my book on 2003 the MTA is not used for message transport between two servers in the same AD forest. That is the function of SMTP. The MTA is used for message transport between 2000/2003 and 5.5, and is also used for messages using X.400.

When all else fails, READ THE DAMN BOOK!

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm just gonna live with it for the time being. Things are changing in the company at the moment anyway, so it might not be required in the end.

I'll investigate further if need be.

ta

Thanks for everyone replies I added the new server to the connector bridgehead and that did the tick

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back