Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Exchange Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbobst

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
This is a very basic question, but the documentation I have doesn't seem to answer it. I am getting ready to install Exchange 2000 for the first time. I have a Windows 2K server that is going to be dedicated as the Exchange server, but it is only a member server, not a domain controller. Do I have to make the server an actual domain controller, or can I leave it a member server?

If I can leave it a member server, I still need to run the ADC on the local domain controller, then run forestprep and domainprep next on the local domain controller...right?

Thanks for the advice.

Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server must be installed on a computer that is a member of a domain, that is important!
Also Windows 2000 Active Directory must be installed.

For setup, see:

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

My server is a member server on the domain (and a member of the domain), but is not a domain controller, and therefore does not have active directory installed. Is there a way to install active directory on a domain member server?

In simple terms; Ex2K requires Active Directory but it does not need to be running on a domain controller.AD needs to be in place as Ex2K does not have it's own directory structure. It uses the directory in AD.

Regards
joaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back