Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Drive In RAID5 Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbarron

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

We have an HP DL380 G4 Server with 3 x 250gb disks in.

I need to add another disk to increase storage capacity.

As I am a newbie to HP kit what tools do I need to use to be able to do this?

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee,

You need to plumb the drive in, then tell the server what to do with it through the HP's Array Configuration Utility (ACU).

Should exist in your Start Menu, under HP System Tools (or something like that). If not, you'll have to install it - download the relevant PSP (Prolaint Support Pack) for your server. Be careful when you run it though, because it will update your NIC Drivers, and therefore drop your server off the network for a few mins.
You can download and install ACU seperately, but you might as well arrange 20 mins of downtime, and just apply the latest PSP - it will ensure everything is running the latest drivers.

In there you can set the drive as a Hot Spare, or use it to expand your Array.

Within ACU you can also delete your Array - so please be careful... Plus expanding the Array 'may take a few hours, or considerably longer' - probably longer based on the fact that you're dealing with 250GB Drives...

Thanks, Mark

Mark.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give this a go!

Thanks

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back