Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new domain, new 2003 server, what's wrong? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

350ztn

MIS
Nov 19, 2003
US
What am I missing? I have a 2003 server, a swtich, and a PC running XP Pro. I setup AD on the server. Setup DNS (not sure if this is right and might be where the problem lies). Setup DHCP and activated it. I setup a user on the server with domain admin rights, and even setup a computer in AD with the clients PC name. The client PC does get the IP via DHCP, it can ping the server using IP and name. I put entries in the host and lmhost file and still I can't get the XP machine to connect to the domain...what gives?

Is the XP Client's primary DNS entry the AD Server?

Each client must have the (a) AD Server as its first DNS entry.

Oh, and check to make sure the 2003's firewall isn't blocking traffic for authentication etc.

DNS server on the client is the IP of the 2003 server. Went to Group policies and Firewall isn't even configured. I also went to the Firewall settings of XP client and it is disabled. When I went to admin tools on the server and selected Domain Policies it told me I didn't have access to this and the other part of the error message was the same I get on the XP client which is network path not found.

Did you JOIN the system to the domain, or just create a computer account through Active Directory Users and Computers?

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Take those entries out of the hosts and lmhost files. It's not a resolution problem if you can ping by name BEFORE you added the entries to the files.

Can you log onto the XP workstation as the local admin and see the domain and server in NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I brought the server to my office to make sure it wasn't my XP machine at home and I get the same thing here. "Network Path not Found" when I try to join the client to the domain. Under Network Places, Entire Network I do see the domain server and when I double click on it, It tells me "I do not have administrative privliges...network path not found."
Looking further into DNS, I have no forwarders setup on the server, and don't think I need those right now since I'm not worried about the internet just yet. The DNS event log is clear minus the normal DNS has started after the server is rebooted. The server is pointing to 127.0.0.1 in the DNS settings under the NIC configuration. Upon further investigation, when I do an NSlookup via IP address is doesn't resolve the servername, but I can stipp ping the server name and it resolves the IP address. What else am I missing?

Well, point the server to the true IP address, not 127.0.0.1

Make sure the workstations are using the servers' IP for DNS as well.

Make sure you don't have any software based firewalls enabled anywhere. In 2003, with the addition of SP1, and/or R2, network interfaces are disabled at first.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I'll try pointing it to the true Ip address. The server is running DHCP and the client is picking all the correct infor up from the server. IP address within scope, correct subnet, gateway address is the server IP address, DHCP and DNS are also the IP address of server.
no firewalls on either the client or the server.
I'll try the actual server IP address for the DNS of the server. That might be it! Man I hope so...of course if it is I'll kick myself!

Try joining the machine to a workgroup, reboot, then rejoin it to the domain.
Hope this helps.

Sounds to me like DNS is your issue. Here's a couple things you can check:

1) Ensure that all the necessary SRV records for the domain are present in your DNS zone. If you told dcpromo to configure the DNS for you, they will be; if you built your DNS prior to running dcpromo and the SRV records aren't there, try running ipconfig/flushdns followed by ipconfig/registerdns on the server.

2) I noticed that you were able to ping the server from the client via both ip address and hostname. Have you tried to ping the FQDN of the domain name (i.e., your server is server01.domain.com....can you ping domain.com?). If the SOA records in DNS are properly configured, then the server will reply to the ping for the domain. If this ping request is unsuccessful, then clients will not be able to join the domain because they won't be able to find the DNS server responsible for the domain.

Hope this helps

I replaced 127.0.0.1 with the IP address of my server in the DNS settings in the Network Connections section.
I flushed and registered DNS with IP config then did a IPCONFIG /displaydns and it has displayed 3 items
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa (PTR record=localhost)
servername.com (PTR record=192.168.2.2)
localhost (PTR record=127.0.0.1)

From the client I can ping the FQDN, but still I can't join the domain. This has to be DNS, but I'm at a loss. If I go to manage server roles and remove DNS and Active Directory does this remove all traces of the settings. If so I may do this and the just go and do the AD setup and when I get to the DNS section in AD go through it there. Do I need to have an internet connection for this b/c I don't. I haven't even gotten to connecting the server to the internet which I do want to do, but right now I just want to get a PC communicating to the server before putting forwarders in DNS and changing everything around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back