Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Dell Poweredge Server options

Status
Not open for further replies.

romlopez

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2005
US
Hello all
I am about to buy two new Dell poweredge servers.
Servers will be running AC, DNS, DFS, IIS (local intranet site), NLB. Will be also used as print, file servers.
Choices: SATA or SCSI?
-SATA 3.0Gbs internal data transfer rate is twice faster than SCSI
-SATA (16MB) cache is twice than SCSI (8MB)
-SCSI Seek & write time is faster than SATA 3.0Ghz
-SATA is less pricey than SCSI, + SATA has more capacity
Does SATA data transfer rate and cache compensate for the speed of SCSI?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

To clear up the addin verses the embedded choice.
If you get the embedded, you save about $250, but if anything fails on the motherboard after the warranty, your stuck..you buy a replacement from dell, including the added cost of the embedded raid or dump the server and start over. With the addin card, a replacement mother board would be $500 cheaper, or if you dump the server, the addin card could be used in another server. With the addin card you could convert the raid to an external enclosure. Lsi based addin raid cards rarely truly fail, motherboards fail more often. If you know for sure you will never need an external array, and your lucky with hardware go for the embedded.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for your advice!!

I tried to configure the server with the PERC4eDC-PCI Express, 128MB Cache, 2-External Channels; and it looks like it's only external channels none internal. It doesn't have 2 internal 2 external because it gives me errors saying:

-Requires that you make one of the following selections
PERC4/DC, 2 Internal Channels, 0 External Channels as your Primary Controller
or....
-PERC4eDC-PCI Express, 128MB Cache, 2-Internal Channels as your Primary Controller

As always Dell going cheap....it doesn't surprise me...

So how should I configure the controllers?
RAID1(media bay) & RAID5(1*8 backplane) and the tape backup will be in the outside somehow (I never used tape before). I am planning to buy a PowerVault 110T LTO-2-L Tape Drive external.
But the big question is: Does it allow two or more tapes to be inside at the same time?

I am more confused now....sorry...
thank you!

The simplest solution, if you do not plan on adding another raid 5 array set to the machine, nor more than 2 more drives, for a raid 1 or adding more than two drives to create a larger raid 5 array, for the life of the server.... place the raid1 and raid 5 in the split backplane slots.
Adding the media tray would give you the ability to add two more drives, total of 4 drives, which does not sound like you will be doing this anyway.

Call Dell, they have an idiotic fixation on raid setups, they can not deal with deviation well. Even with the config below the web site balks, they should give you the config below unless they are anal retentive as a company

So it becomes....
Split Backplane, Drives att. to RAID card, RAID 1, RAID 5; 5 drives req

2X4 Hot-Pluggable Split Backplane,PE2800

With no media tray, the tape can go internal. I personally like the external units, as they can be used to backup other machines, and if fan equipped, easier to clean.. but they are prone to theft.

This is a 1 tape unit.

Ok. Will do. Everything is settled then. Except that I need at least a 2 tape unit, which one would you recommend me? Thank you!

I have not purchase an auto loader in a while so I will not give a recommendation. Include in your research Sony AIT units. Do thorough research.

Parameters....

capacity per tape, native and compressed

tape backup speed, just remember, the longer it take to backup, the greater the wear on the drive, it pays to get a fast unit.

tape media warranty

auto loader warranty period

tape cost

repair turnaround

MTBF of tape head,and unit in general

extended warranty costs..expensive, and needed. Had one DLT IV unit which died every 4 months, spent more time in transit, then working.

Some auto loader below, but once you make a decision search the Internet for the lowest price

Might check out SDLT. Fast, large capacity tapes (300/600 Gb). And I've had excellent luck with Quantum decks.

i would go SATA m8y...

SCSI has had it's day...blow the spin speed, all noise and power consumption...bandwidth rules...

SATA2 = 300Gbs is around the corner?

the I in RAID stands for inexpensive...compared to SCSI, that's what SATA is?

;)

Ok. I have not bought the servers yet. Finally I got a contact in Dell which will help me buying those servers.
Just a thought:

-Two new servers (you know what they're supposed to do)
-In a couple of months I will be needing another two (for exchange, even though I have no idea how to migrate and implement exchange)
-Right now I will also need a DHCP, AC, DNS server. I suppose this one can be one AMD Opteron dual-core, because the only function for it is DHCP. Which I would build myself or Dell again?

I already have the configuration for the Dell servers, thank you for all your help, now I know exactly what to order.
My question is:
Should I make the servers myself?

-Dual Core Opteron 270 1Ghz FSB Socket 940 * 2
-Seagate Cheetah 15K 36.7GB SCSI 68pin (RAID1)
-Fujitsu 300GB 10K SCSI 68pin HD's * 3 (RAID5)
-Tyan Extended ATX server motherboard
-CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered Dual channel Channel Kit Memory * 3
-SCSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-2E card (as stated above)

Just a thought, please let me know what you think, if you do not like the idea I will place the order with Dell.
Thank you for all your help and sorry for all the trouble

I know you will ask why I want to make them, here is the answer:
I am doing all this for learning purposes, finish this by the end of the year and I want to get as much experience as I can here, because I don't think someone else would give me such a big budget for me to play with ;) . Thanks again!

You don not need a separate DHCP, DNS, WINs server. An AD FSMO server will easily handle the services as they use very little resources. The exception would be if you have > 300 users, then you should consider dividing the services up, even then the services would not need separate servers for each one.

I build top end server for clients, as I can save about 40-45%; I only use Supermicro and the best equipment I can buy...my ass is on the line.
If you can afford the risk..if anything goes wrong with a server the fingers will point to you. Aslo pricing/order the needed components can be time consuming.

Hardware choices, the changes I would make
Supermicro case, excellent cases with great airflow.

Supermicro motherboard, and ram only from their recommendation list. Excellent, stable boards with real support. Would still go Intel

Smaller 10k drives than 300 Gig, but more of them, as arrays get faster with more then three drives, top speed is obtained with 5 ( 6 is pushing it). Be aware if you purchase retail drives, warranty replacement can take a few days; on home built servers I require a hotspare for raid 5 arrays, I am not going to be responsible for an unecessary array failure due to drive warranty turn around time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back