Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Dell PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu85

MIS
Sep 6, 2006
GB
I have just got a new Dell Dimension E520, which was shipped with Vista. At the moment i dont want to use vista, so got my XP Pro cd and booted to that and went to set it all up. It loads all the drivers at the start, then gets to the point where it says Setup is Loading, then i get a blue screen stop error (0x0000007b)

Does anybody know how i can resolve this?

Thanks

Yes it is Sata, how do i find the correct drivers?

Thanks. Do i then have to press f6 at the setup and install it from a floppy?

Yes, It will need unpacking first. Dell normally have drivers zipped up. The default location for this particular driver is: C:\dell\drivers\R130118
This will fit on a floppy as it is only 348kb.

The new PC doesnt have a floppy drive, will it work loading it from an external floppy drive?

I copied the drivers onto a floppy, and connected an external floppy drive, boot into windows setup, press f6, it asks me to load the drivers by pressing S, i load the driver, it then goes through all the rest of the process where you get to the point where u choose your partition. After i choose my partition and get to the point after fornat its now asking me to insert the correct disk into A: and wont let me continue...

any ideas??

Can you try to cancel that part? I think the system is probably looking for the CD again, but has got confused. Is there a specific file that it is looking for? If not try putting the drivers on to a CD, use that after pressing F6. Then when the drivers are installed replace the Windows CD.

Thereis no way of cancelling that part, its either quit or continue

There is no specific file it just says please insert Intel Matrix Storage Manager into drive A:, which is thedisk i have in the external floppy

I tried putting it onto a cd and it didnt work at all when pressing f6 it only asked for a floppy, not a cd

That all looks very complicated lol is there no easier way??

I have been given a workaround on another forum, was just wondering if anybody can confirm if this would work or not?

1. Go into the BIOS by pressing F2 on the Dell Logo
2. Go to Drives, then select SATA Operation.
3. Change RAID Auto/AHCI to RAID Auto/ATA
4. Press ESC and save the changes to setup
5. Boot to the windows XP disk, no need to press F6 but just continue the installation process

Thanks

Yes, I think I saw this somewhere. I think it will work. What it does is makes the SATA drive look like an ATA/IDE drive.
Sorry, I forgot that one & also didn't realize that that machine had that function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back