Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Crystal Reports version around the corner? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qu1ncy

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
CA
Hello,
We currently have a blend of Crystal Reports versions in our corporate environment. CR8.5, 10, and XI. We're going to be upgrading from XP to Windows 7 in 2011 and are about to standardize the CR version to XI as it is Win7 comaptible. CR 2008 is 4 years old.

Does anyone know if there may be a newer CR version about to be released?
Cheers!
Quincy

2008 is newer than XI.

why are you choosing XI?

supposedly CR2011 is in beta testing now.

Hi Fish,
Thanks for your quick response.
We've tested XI on Win7 in a pilot project, and are satisfied with that config. Our software management team have suddenly become version conscious, are suggesting a move to CR2008 (more testing), and are inquiring if there's anything been released since CR2008.
Q

There is a crystal Reports 2010 but it's just to keep developers with Visual Studio 2010 happy.

Crystal Reports 2011 is expected in Q2, so should see something in the next month or so.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Thank you both for your responses.
Q

From what I hear there won't be much different in the CR 2011 interface. This article has all the info I have found:

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Read-Only reports might be useful, if it means what I think it means.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 11.5 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

The only problem with the SAP implementation of "Read Only" reports is that they can only be opened in the SAP Viewers. This means that most people won't be able to refresh the report without some significant time/money invested.

Data Link Viewer has had this "read only" feature for years and you can deploy it simply and at minimal cost, without giving up the refresh capabilities.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Based on what you folks are saying, it sounds like if we standardize all users to CRXI at the same time as our Windows 7 upgrade Q2 or Q3 this year, then move up to CR2008 in 2012, we should be fine.
I haven't found anything on SAP's website regarding an endate for CRXI support cycle.

Thank you all for your responses.
Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back