Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New CPU for OLD systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

willri

Technical User
Apr 10, 2002
US
Does anybody know whether there are any feasible CPU upgrades for either a
- Dell Optiplex G1 (P2@350mhz) or a
- Compaq Deskpro 4000 5200MMX (P2@200mhz)

I'm thinking a Celeron in the 500-800mhz (or 1hz?) range would probably fix many of the problems with those desktops.

What jumpers or soft settings need to be changed ?

Otherwise I'll be needing a motherboard/cpu/fan combo for one of the several minitowers I've got around. I'd take recommendations on these as well, but if I had an easier path to speed some of the machines up, I'd take them.

Or am I dreaming and are these boxes dumpster bound ?

Thanks,

Will

Your main limititation is going to be the actual processor connection to the system board. PII processors used a Slot 1 connector, and most newer processors use a socket instead of a slot.

According to Evergreen Technologies they sell a 1GHz CPU for all slot 1 and socket 370 processors. TigerDirect.com sells them. (100MHz FSB)I don't know if they work. You'd need a bios upgrade, probably. Also, better cooling. They cost about $145, I think. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Note of caution, I have seen a few Compaqs Deskpro's where a processor upgrade simply would NOT work, so procede at your own risk...

Truth is if you want a major hike in processor speed then it will be motherboard processor and fan BUT!!! and I say but, then you realise you have a small hard drive and the graphics are crap and your CD rom is like 12X etc etc etc
So like most of us you will come to the conclusion "you need at least a newly built base unit"
Your only CHEAP option, is a small processor step up! one that your motherboard will happily take.
BUT WILL YOU BE HAPPY WITH THAT? Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

And then you'll figure out that the power is in short supply and there will be no power upgrade and you'll need a new case along with the new power supply so you end up where you needed to be to start with. Case, PS, MB, memory, HD, and possibly a video card. If you are in luck the floppy, keyboard, and mouse will plug in and go. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You can get some cheap components to build or buy outright a Celeron Tulatin core 1.2 - 1.3 gig system. I've seen some really cheap prices on these since Celeron's have gone to the P4 platform. Resellers are trying to dump what they have before it is worthless.

There also may be some good deals on lower grade P4 systems these days.

A PII 350 may not be upgradeable. It depends on the motherboard/chipset. I wouldn't even mess with a compaq. They are basically a big headache. You might be able to put a slightly faster processor on the PII, but you won't acheive much of an increase in power and speed.

A new P4 system is the best choice in the longrun. The bus speed for the CPU is at least 400 and up to 533 for newer processors. A PIII chip can't compete with that. Some systems are being built with the 1066 Rambus Memory, which makes for the fastest PC Available. If you have a choice buy a motherboard that can run the Intel Chipset for 400/533 Bus and the 800/1066 RAMBUS memory. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

depending on the motherboard that came with your system, the fastest processor could be anywhere from a p2 500 to a p3 850. I've tried doing this with a few older systems, and found that buying a motherboard/cpu combo is the best route to go

First, you must look at the frequency multiplier the MoBo maxes out at. If, for ex. your MoBo has an FSB of 100 MHz, and the frequency multiplier maxes out at 4, any processor will max out at 400 MHz. You can use an 800 MHz one, but the end result will be 400.

rudeboyjeff is right when proposing Motherboard combo change.

edfair's point is well taken. Like an operation on the human body. You may perform a heart transplant, but an old kidney may croak because the healty heart pumps too hard.

John

Hmm, using a slotket adapter you might be able to push them up a bit using 500-866 or so celerons using a 66mhz fsb. The multiplier is the only problem. Unless you are sure that the boards in those systems allow a larger multiplier after bios updates, then it would probably be a total waste of time and money. I would thoroughly check the revision notes on the bios updates before doing anything, as well as newsgroups, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back