Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new connetion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJLI

Programmer
Jun 30, 2005
AL
hi.
Cognos ReportNet is connected with oracle data warehouse and they are installed in the same server.is there any posibility to import data from Cognos to another data warehouse installed in another server??
Thnx

yes, add the Oracle database information into the tnsnames.ora, then create a new connection, either in FrameWork manager or directly in the server, in the Directory tab in Cognos Connection.

HI.
i have used another method.I have changed the configuration of data access from COGNOS CONFIGURATION(I RELATED IT TO THE NEXT SERVER) but when i try to add a new connection in the Directory tab in Cognos Connection i take an error in "Specify the Oracle connection string - New Data Source Wizard"
when i try to test the configuration the system gives this error :
logon failure.
the connection string is invalid
unable to access the"testDataSourceConection"database.
the problem is that in COGNOS CONFIGURATION will be configured only one server so deleted the current data sourse and added the new one.

Hi,
I m not sure to understand what you are trying to achieve.

Do you want to have the Cognos ContentStore in other server or do you want to have another Data warehouse as source for reports.

If you change the Data Access in Cognos Configuration to point to another database, then it will create a new Content Store.
Content Store = Database managed by ReportNet, where all the report definitions, security settings, schedule options are saved , and some other things.
ReportNet is creating its own tables in this database.

HI,
i want to have another data warehouse as source for report but this data warehouse is not in the same server with cognos reportNet.
i changed the Data access in cognos configuration.and i created a new content store with the name of the database(data warehouse).
what can i do after this change ???

So, you have lost all the existing reports.

If you want to add a new source for report, use the Directory option in cognos Connection.
A new source doesn't need to be in the same server as the reportNet server.
The only thing need in the reportnet server to have some other sources are the gateways or the ODBC connections.

So add in your reportnet server, in the tnsnames.ora the database information, and use the directory.

but is there any possibility to find the existing reports that i have lost?????

I would try the following.
If you have not deleted the previous ContentStore.
Change back the Data Access in Cognos Configuration, to point to the previous database.
Open reportnet, go to deployment option in cognos connection, do a full export of the content store.

Go back to Cognos Configuration, change the contentStore to the new database.
Go to Deployment option in Cognos connection, do a full Import of the ContentStore.

i have deleted and re-created the previus ContentStore trying to configure the next one.

Have you cleaned the database or have you removed the reference in Cognos Configuration ??

If you have cleaned the db , then if you don't have backups on tapes, you are trouble..

no no i have just delete the reference in cognos configuration and create a new one.

So change it back to what it was before, then do the deployment / Export full content store.
Then change it to the new content store and do the deployment / Import.

Or do a copy of database, but this one I m not sure if this is supported by Cognos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back