Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Computer. How do I transfer from the old one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcblair

MIS
Feb 17, 2000
US
My old computer is a Gateway performance 450 I just got a New Gateway 500X. What is the best way to transfer the data from the old to the new? I could take out the drive and put it in the new one as a slave, If I do this how do I set the jumpers as a slave? Is there software that I can use with a Parallell cable or a chip kit that is USB? I want to pick and choose the data I transfer.

just by 2 Network Interface Cards for 15 bucks and a patch cable, connect and you can do all the sharing you need ;)

i still suggest a small 2 comp network will work the best then you can keep both computers and share all the info i have 5 computers in my house on my network it doesnt get any better than that

Or,

Take out your old hard drive and set the jumper on the back to slave and connect it to the middle of the cable that is attached to your new hard drive in your new computer. Don't forget connect the power connector. Boot the new computer and you should now see 2 hard drives. Now you can transfer the files from one hard drive to another. Of course you can do as "dkillforyou" suggested and set up a small network. That works just as good if not better.

Stealer

If machines haven't got NICs and you're happy moving the drive from one to the other, that's definitely best way of doing it (copying is much quicker drive to drive than over parallel or USB).

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard helps you move your data files and personal settings from your old computer to your new one, without having to go through much of the same configuration you did with your old computer. For example, you can take your personal display properties, folder and taskbar options, and Internet browser and mail settings from your old computer and place them on the new one. The wizard will also move specific files or entire folders, such as My Documents, My Pictures, and Favorites.

Q293118 - HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

What kind of cable for the XP transfer utility and where can I get it?

Read Linney's link. You've still got the same issue.

If you don't want to physically connect each computer, the Files and Transfer Wizard can just use a CD (if you have a CD Writer) and transfer your files and settings that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back