Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New comp wont let me install OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokolosh

Technical User
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Ive just bought a MSI 745 Ultra motherboard with an AMD 1.8 and 512 DDR ram I have a Maxtor Diamond Max plus 8 (40gb) Hard drive and a G-force 4 AGP graphics card. Everything is new. I put in my startup disk and tried to boot up and load but it wont. It flashes thru the bios-- says every component is recognised but then it says "missing operating system" and wont give a prompt. Ive checked all jumpers and IDE chain configurations and read thru the motherboard and H-Drive manuals. What could be the problem? More importantly what could be the solution?

My initial response would be that the CMOS holds incorrect data for the floppy. But since it is all new, there are lots of other things that can affect it. CMOS settings for the HDC and drive swap for starters.
Do you have seek on boot set in CMOS? That is the first step in getting access to the floppy. Or at least in knowing if the floppy is really attached.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Your bios is set to boot from floppy drive?

Ed's on the right track.

With a problem like this, you have to switch to autistic mode ... pretend that nothing is known or correct, and check everything. First ensure the floppy's data and power cables are attached, and upon bootup the damned thing seems alive.

Then you have to make sure that the BIOS settings indicate:

1. The floppy controller is enabled.
2. The floppy drive is enabled.
3. The floppy drive is a bootable device.
4. The floppy drive is boot-first.

It seems like the machine is not booting from the floppy; hence it goes to the hard disk, which has (I assume) nothing on it.

First all are you loading windows XP, then all you need to do is go into your bios (in most cases by pressing del button ) when its starting up and then choosing the first device as the cd rom and then just save it and then pop in the cd of windows xp and then just follow the instructions and the rest should be easy. and also format with NTFS not fat32 beleive its better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back