Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Chart features in InDesign CS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvhall2

MIS
Jan 8, 2009
US
Hello. I'm trying to format charts in InDesign CS3 using cell styles. I am using .5 pt light gray horizontal rules to separate rows, and .75 pt Black rules vertically to separate columns. I cannot figure out how to keep the light gray rules from appearing over the black rules. In essence, I want the black rules on top. I've tried selecting overprint and every possible option I can think of. Unless there's a way, I'm going to have to physically bring in separate black rules to place over the chart, which tends to defeat the purpose of this whole chart feature. Can ANYONE help. Thanks so much!!

Ken

...it is in the table options > tabel setup...

...at the bottom, stroke drawing order...

...overprint only effects objects that might be under the tabel itself, like a colored box...

...indesigns default black swatche overprints anyway (unless you specify otherwise in the preferences)...

Andrew

...and i can't spell tabel!!!

: )

Andrew

Hi Ken,

At the table options > table setup, you can sellect "column stroke infront"
Does it do the trick ?

Marcel

...and to add...

...once you tint the indesign default black, it knocks out underlying objects, unless you manually tell it otherwise...

...you can create your own black swatch (100%), and by using your own it knocks out underlying objects, useful if your needing to trap inside metallic inks...

Andrew

You are all Gods!!!!!!! You've saved sanity! Thanks much.

Andrew, don't worry about the spelling. I got your point! :)

Okay, one more question... Is that universal (all column strokes would be in front) or can I select one in particular to print on top??? I tried higlighting individual boxes, but the row stroke in front choice applied to the entire chart. I know it's not a perfect science, but I'd hope you could select individual strokes. Again, any help is much appreciated!

Ken

...yes, it's all or nothing unfortunately, even CS4 behaves the same way...

Andrew

Hi Ken,

It is not a standard option.
i found a work around... but it is bit tricky to set up.
and i don't know if it will work for you.

I have noticed that if you setup a table it will place the row lines behind the columns when selecting only one column.
Although the table-option settings are set to "row in front".
But if you select two column right beside each other the row line do flip to the top. so maybe you can use this :)

Another thing you can do..
if you use row-below in the paragraph style, the row-line will go behind the column line.

Hope this helps

Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back