Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Built Computer; major problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan19671

Technical User
May 22, 2003
CA
I recently built a computer from buying parts. My processor is an Athlon XP 2500 and my motherboard is the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVIDIA nForce2. Everything was working fine, after Windows XP and other programs were installed; however, after I installed a network driver for my Intel AnyPoint Home Network adapter from the Setup Disc provided, my computer completely failed. It immediately shut down after a quick blue screen appeared displaying a bunch of white lines which I didn't have enough time to read. The computer continued this cycle of starting up, on the desktop for a few seconds, and then getting the error and shytting down. I unplugged the adapter, and the next time I started the computer up I ended up with a grey blank screen that does not do anything, or give me any options. I have tried loading windows from safe mode, and all the other options listed on the list. I am forced to reboot the computer with the power switch on the back of the computer, and begin this proces all over again. Windows is simply not loading because no Windows startup power metre (as seen in XP) is evident.

Any sugggestions?
If you need anymore information tha could help you answer this problem, feel free to post a reply.

Thank you very much.

I suspect you have a hardware failure of some sort, try removing / unplugging all cards and drives except video, on that mobo I would assume you are using the onboard anyway. If it boots then replace the items one at a time until you get the error. If it does not boot try reseating the RAM and then the CPU. If you still have no luck you may need to take it to a shop to get the CPU and mobo tested

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

also, try going into bios and resetting the configuration.. it should be on the same menu as "plug and play os installed?"

doesn't the a7n8x deluxe come with dual onboard LAN connections? why would you install a 3rd?
I have found onboard everything (except video) is high enough quality to rule out buying a pci card. also keeps the inside of the case looking pretty clutter-free :)

Nick
Computer Support, no not just hardware.. I support everything :)

Thank you for your help. Before I try to do some of the things listed above, I wanted ot tell you that I bought the network adapter simply because I need it. My house is hooked up to the Internet through a phoneline network, where an exernal phonelin adapter is needed to convert the phoneline signal into a USB one to plug into my computer.

Any other suggestions before I open the hardware or the bios?

Thanks

Install the network adapter on another pc to see if it or its software is good.

I had exactly the same problem with my PC after it was rebuilt by my insurance company follwoing a power surge, (new MoBo, processor etc.).
They mis-configured the machine and as the On-Board motherboard components in the BIOS that I didn't need were enabled Win XP was assigning the IRQ slots, leaving me less available for the cards I wanted enabled. Windows XP managed to assigne my Graphics and Sound Card the same IRQ, and the damned thing would periodically stop, display that blue screen for a fraction of a second and re-boot/shut down.
I recommend you go into BIOS, disable MoBo on-board components not needed, (Lan, Graphics, Sound), and giving the machine another go. Check your IRQ assignments and re-install any devices sharing IRQ resources.
Windows XP DOES NOT support IRQ sharing. Check out any variety of MoBo, or Windows XP forums if you don't believe me, but XP does tend to not cope with it at all.
Good Luck!

Rhys
Thought out... Maybe,
Opinionated... Probably
But it is only an opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back