Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New building, need good key system 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoskerTheArkite

Technical User
Aug 31, 2011
CA
Wow, I can't believe I'm doing this. I've read all of the comments from Bzbee bout his system and need just a little help refining some of the recommendations.
The situation is this: Small church with old phone (and possibly sick) Nortel Meridian system, has just built a gym with classrooms. They need more phones and the current system is maxed out. Phones need to be replaced and so does the carrier.
They will need around 4 lines, one being a fax, and around 7 stations.
Aside from the usual features being considered, are 'talk back' on page, for the gym, and page or text notification of voice mails.
I am interested in any system you guys think might work for these folks.
I like the Avaya Partner system, Nortel MICS(?), because they're tried and true and very affordable and available, but don't know if they can handle the features.
This is my church so I'm footing the bill. What do you guys recommend?

Since you already have the phones I would go with the MICS. That should save you some $$, and like you said it is a very good system.

Those phones are worn out. I do have a few new ones that are a different model and did't seem to work probably a year ago when I tried one, but possibly that's because they are a little different model and they need a power brick. Is that likely? or is it possible they're digital sets (I doubt that). Sorry, I don't remember the model number on any of those phones.

How important is notification of voicemail? For that few of phones, I'd use a CICS and CallPilot voicemail. OR, if you can stomach new, an IP Office with embedded, which will send email notification of voicemail and is fairly cost-effective in that size.

Probably not as important as the bucks. But I'm thinking an IP office system would be over $3K, and either Meridian or Partner is half that. I'll have to check on that.

Since its a church and need to keep the pricing down I would suggest stick with Norstar.
Sounds like you have a 3X8.

Sets easily cleaned up, repair rates are pretty good out there too.

M7XXX series has a FEATURE key abobve the HOLD key.
T7XXX series has a Nortel or maybe Avaya symbol as a Feature key and is between the Rls and Hold keys, alos tilt screen and red light.

I also would vote CICS - Compact ICS which comes as low as 4X8 but can be upgraded to 8X16 via software or 8X24 via software and exp/service card.
7.1 is the latest and suggested software....get 4.1 at minimum to allow external transfer or 6.1 to allow for red light etc on the T series sets.
M series will work still too.
It has an internal Analog port for fax if need.
You looking at about $500.00 to $800.00.
The CICS replaces the 6X16, if you can find one with DR5 DS then that would work too.....maybe $100.00.

Talkback is via the paging amp.
Cheaper to just use a set and do Voice Call for the gym.

For voice mail notification you need voice mail.
The latest Call Pilot 100 will do, 3.1 recommended software....maybe $500.00
Otherwise the older Startalk Flash (maybe $200.00) will call a phone, pager etc (up to 5 numbers) when message left.
2.0 or 2.1 on the Startalk Flash works best with most KSU's.

No training required on the phone side, just voice mail if you don't already have?.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

One more vote for a CICS/MICS... they're inexpensive and pretty easy to maintain. The Partner systems are also pretty solid when they work right but in my experience, they die more frequently and can be tougher to troubleshoot.

I agree with Curlycord, the Startalk Flash should be more than sufficient for their needs; no need to spend the extra on a Callpilot.

M-series phones are widely available, cheap and pretty sturdy. T-series phones are prettier but a bit more expensive - although not a lot. I doubt any phones you have need an external power supply but you can always post model numbers if you want to know for sure.

The only spec that confused me was the "'talk-back' on page". Do you mean like an intercom? Or do you mean when you page all, they can talk back? And does the gym have a phone or a horn/paging speaker?

I like the Partner ACS. Currently the 5x9 processors are priced extremely high on the aftermarket, so the R6 would be the processor of choice. The Avaya Partner Messaging can notify someone when a new message is left in their voicemail box. The "MIC/HFAI" button on Partner system telephones.....if left active.....will allow for hands-free conversation. Beyond that.....you're probably looking for a dedicated PA system....similar to ones that are/were used in schools buildings.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

I always recommend Panasonic gear for the small stuff. They have some little key systems that are quite affordable and the phones aren't that costly either. I have always had good luck with them, and have several working in some of my facilities that are either too small or too costly to tie into the PBX....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back