Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Aix Print Queue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbissett

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
IE
Hi,
on aix 4.3.3 I'd like to create a new print queue similar to one I already have, with just a slight change i.e. the current one prints portrait and I want to add a landscape one. I'm not very familiar with print queues and I'm finding it difficult to see what type the current one is, so as to know what type to add. Here are the details I have so far :

$lsallq
lp1
portstd
portsml
lansstd

portsml is the one I want to copy (and make lansml) so if I list the attributes :

$ lsque -c -q portsml
#name:device:discipline:up:acctfile:host:s_statfilter:l_statfilter:rq
portsml:mad:portsml:fcfs:TRUE:FALSE:portsml:/usr/lib/lpd/aixshort:/usr/lib/lpd/aixl
ong:portsml

In my hosts file, there is a matching entry with the ip address of the printer in question....

10.xxx.xxx.171 portsml (actual numbers x'd out !)

My question is quite basic really, when I go to add a print queue in SMIT, I'm not sure which type - is it local, remote, other ?

Most "ip" printers are considered remote.

If you have the printer software loaded, I would suggest choosing "HPJETDIRECT", even if it's not an HP....

After you add the queue, you can go into Change / Show Print Queue Characteristics and change your cpi, trays to print from, and portrait/landscape.

Choosing "remote" or "other" will not allow you to change the above via "smit".

Hi,
thanks for your help - I tried it but I dont have the hpjetdirect software loaded. Here are my list of queues listed in smit :

# PRINT QUEUE PRINTER DESCRIPTION
lp1 @lexmark Remote Printer
portstd @portstd lexOptraT (enhanced PCL (R) 5e emul
portsml @portsml lexOptraT (enhanced PCL (R) 5e emul
lansstd @lansstd lexOptraT (enhanced PCL (R) 5e emul

I need to add one like portsml but dont know which type of queue to add ?
Robby.

open two sessions onto your server

in one go into smit and display the properties of the queue you want to copy

in the other go into smit and add the new queue takings the details from the first

Alex

forgot to say - in /etc/qconfig the type of printer is defined in the file string as per this local printer

file = /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev/hp@NPI55810B.ryder.com#hpJetDirect#9100

remote printers are ones attached to other servers (maybe NT or such)

Alex

Hi,
thanks for your responses - my main problem is that I dont know what type of queue to add in the first place. Here are the entries in /etc/qconfig for "portsml" which I want to copy...

portsml:
acctfile = FALSE
device = @portsml
host = portsml
rq = portsml
s_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/aixshort
l_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/aixlong
@portsml:
header = never
trailer = never
access = both
backend = /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piorlfb -f !

No type mentioned here ?
Robby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back