Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new 2900 & 3500 series switch 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoBAz

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Just purchase a used 2900 and 3500 switch.. would like to set them up to learn .. I have a home network and hopefully I would ultimately like to install either (which ever is best) in my home and use it as my switch.. I have never used either and I am curious to know how would I go about getting either to work.. do they need some configuring prior to using them.. if so where to I look and how to I get into it/them ..do I need a crossover etc..I looked to see if there was a FAQ on these.. and found nothing..

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

BoBAz

BoBAz

8700/8500/8300/G350/Ip Office/SG203/SG5x//G3r/G3SI/Audix/ Manager/VMM/8500

Never mind in getting in .. I read a document that walked me through getting connected.. and I just went through a password recovery process.. but I am wondering if there is a method to reinitialize if at all possible.. like get rid of all of the enteries already in the switch.. or is it best to remove them manually ?

R/

BoBAz

BoBAz

Hmmm...I'm just working from memory but I believe those switches have a file called config.text or something like that. Actually, if you've done password recovery you've basically blown away the existing config...just don't restore the file - reset you password and away you go.

Again I'm working from memory - it's a while since I've done it but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

To reset the config on both switch do a "write erase" and then reload the switches. This wipes out the startup config and the config will be basically blank except for a few default values. Start your config after that.

If there are VLAN's configured then these won't be removed with a write erase. You also need to delete the 'vlan.dat' file.

HTH

Andy

Thank you all.. I will try all three.. as I was reading through the document that told me how to reset the password.. I did step through renaming the config file.. but the instructions also had me restore it (copy it and rename from old to its normal .txt) over again after I had reset the pw.. hind sight tells me that the step by step process, that I actually read, actually restores a "running" switch. (thank you ReadRight)I am going to try to get back into that mode and skip the step that had me copy over the old config file .. if that doesnt work.. I will post back up .. .. I did have one questions though.. ADB100 you mentioned that I need to delete the vlan.dat file.. can you do this from the CLI or is it done through the same mode as the password reset? ( sorry for being such a newbie to this) ....

BoBAz

BoBAz

You do it from the CLI. Use the "delete flash:vlan.dat" command . It's really not imperative that this be done , this generally holds any vtp information like the name and any l2 vlans that were created . You can also go into the vlandatabase and delete the items you want which would do the same thing .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back