Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEw 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
Hello

I am about to upgrade my Nt4 PDC to windows 2000
The PDC is on one site with one subnet and i have 4 BDC all on differant subnets. At the moments I use wins and all servers push and pull to each other.

I am going to install DNS on the upgrade To the PDC. Can i remove wins from the other servers i will i need to install DNS on them? and can i remove wins?

I am not going to upgrade my BDC at the moments to the setup needs to be stable so users can browse network neighbourhood and ping by netbios name

Any help would be greatfull

cheers

I would keep WINS around if you have downlevel clients from 2000. Also keep in mind some legacy applications will use WINS. I would install DNS on the NT4 BDC's then you could shut off the WINS service not unistall it. This way you can turn if back if you need it. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Do not get rid of WINS!!!! It is critical. 2k server still depends on NETBIOS names, although Bill will have you think that DNS can do it alone. you must have wins to ping by netbios names or browse by network hood.

E. Clark

Connecting Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back