Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new 2 TB USB drive causes hang on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpp50

Technical User
Dec 7, 2010
US
Running xp pro on a desktop.
If I connect the WD 2TB USB drive and try to boot the computer hangs on the splash screen.
If I connect the drive after boot up it is recognized and usable.
I connected the drive on a ACER laptop running xp pro and the ACER boots normally so the drive appears to be ok.
The desktop pc has a MSI motherboard and the BIOS title is "AMIBIOS NEW SETUP UTILITY-VERSION 3.31a".
What do I need to do?
Sure would appreciate any help.
jpp50

It sounds as though XP, as configured, just can't handle mounting that big an additional USB drive during the boot process - or it's taking so long that it appears to be stuck. Does the drive support USB3 ? could you add a USB3 board to the XP machine?

Fred Wagner

Reminds me of some SCSI connected scanners. Some models connect to vanilla SCSI cards, and have to be powered on at boot time to be recognized. But other models with a Kofax Adrenaline image processing card (which uses a SCSI interfce), and those have to be OFF at boot, and powered up later.
Perhaps if the 1TB drive were set up as a NAS, with a 100BaseT or Gigabit network interface, it would be simpler to use - map to it after user login. I use a 100BaseT Buffalo NAS box at home, can get to it from Win2K, Vista, and Win7.

Fred Wagner

BIOS update available??

Turn off "boot from USB" option - not clear what you mean by "hangs on the splash screen" Don't know if you are already booting into XP and it hangs or if it hangs after POST.

Ben, Fred & goombawaho;

Thanks for the tips.
Hangs on the first screen that comes up in the boot process.The screen that says " Core Cell extreme, etc., etc.
I'll contact the main board manufacturer and see if a 2TB usb drive is supported.
I'll be out of town the next 2 weeks so it will be high on my list to get back onto this when I return.

Jack

If that's where it hangs, then I recommend what I said - BIOS first and then turn off the USB boot option. Contacting them is not a bad idea IF you have support and IF they speak your language.

I suspect you'll have to live with it - I've seen this with various external drives & machines - most machines will boot with drive attached, usually one won't - I've one connected to this machine! (ie, I think its just an unfortunate combination of your machine & the external drive). Unless machine has unattended reboots and the drive has to be connected at the time, its no big deal unplugging it till it boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back