Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new 1841 router, trying to do a basic config

Status
Not open for further replies.

geranimo666

Technical User
Sep 19, 2006
US
Hello

I have my blue roll over cable attached to it and am getting to the cisco IOS.. How can I get past this:

yourname#cisco
Translating "cisco"...domain server (255.255.255.255)

Translating "cisco"...domain server (255.255.255.255)
(255.255.255.255)
Translating "cisco"...domain server (255.255.25

I don't know what to type in to get started here.. I'd also like to change the yourname# prompt to what my real router name will be.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks
geranimo

Hi.

Code:
Whitby#conf t
Whitby(config)#hostname Router1
Router1(config)#

Anything else just ask, hope this help.

thanks yemaya.. I realized that I just needed to type in hostname just before I got your post..

hey, here's another one if you feel like it: how do I change the initial USername and password logon.. This is where you type in CISCO CISCO as the default - I was able to configure my privileged mode password just fine but how do you change the initial user id and password from their cisco cisco default

thanks again!!
geranimo

router>enable
router#conf t
router#(config)hostname example
//changes the hostname
example#(config)line con 0
example#(config)password cisco
example#(config)login
//sets up console password
example#(config)line vty 0 4
example#(config)password cisco
example#(config)login
//sets up vertual terminal line passwords
example#(config)enable secret cisco
//sets up the enable password

^there's a starter for a basic config off the top of my head. im sure if you use google you can find guides to setting up cisco gear.

Regards
Gaz

Hi.

This is for the console login:
Code:
Router#conf t
Router(config)#line con 0   
Router(config-line)#password "your password"
Router(config-line)#login
Router(config-line)#logging synchronous

this is for the telnet login:
Code:
Router#conf t
Router(config)#line vty 0 4
Router(config-line)#password "your password"
Router(config-line)#login
Router(config-line)#logging synchronous

for the enable mode:
Code:
Router#conf t
Router(config)#enable secret "your password"

Hope this help.

Hi,

After just do:
Code:
router# copy run start
to save the configuration.

YES! you guys rock! thank you.. one last thing.. this is a 1841 and has a base image on it, I'd like to use SSH instead of telnet, does anyone know what specific bin file (image) I'd need to download to get SSH working ?

any help would be great, I'm on the cisco site now.. it seems more like a massive maze just trying to find this than anything else, thought perhaps either of you would know..

geranimo

Hi Yemaya,

Actually it still only lets me log in with the Cisco cisco Id and password.. BUT my enabled password is the one I want (that is correct!) how could I change the intial Id and Password.. here is a snapshot for you:

User Access Verification

Username:
Username: cisco
Password:

It only takes Cisco , cisco for this logon.. very strange...

geranimo

router#conf t
router(config)#no ip domain-lookup

This will prevent the router from looking up any mistyped words as a supposed domain name (translating "whoopsie" 255.255.255.255...)

That particular login screen suggests the commands written to the router were...
router(config)#username cisco privelege 15 secret ccnp

This part that you posted...
"I have my blue roll over cable attached to it and am getting to the cisco IOS.. How can I get past this:

yourname#cisco
Translating "cisco"...domain server (255.255.255.255)"
the hostname of the router here in the example that you provided is actually "yourname"! The # is called the priveleged exec prompt. Instead of typing "cisco", you could have typed this...
yourname#config t
which would have brought you this...
yourname(config)#
then you could have typed this...
yourname(config)#hostname geranimo666
which would have given this result
geranimo666(config)#
then the hostname of the router would be "geranimo666". See? Maybe you were confused, as were some others also, because the hostname, or the name of the router, was actually "yourname"!

Burt

For clarification, geranimo, as I am very tired and without NyQuil (lol), the commands to change the username to geranimo and password to 666 would be...

router#conf t
router(config)#username geranimo privel 15 secret 666
just like that. this is the actual username and password logins, usually meant for more than one admin logins, sometimes thru the AAA functionality of the router. Peace and good luck. The privel 15 part of it gives you total control, 7 is halfway, and 1 is basic "show" commands. All numbers in between can be used, but never are.

Burt

Burt

Thanks so much -you de man! please don't take NyQuil for sleep issues until you're going to tell me that you have a head cold.. either, melatonin works better!

Question: this 1841 has a cool USB port on the front of it.. I have a bin file I'd like to copy to the flash.. the file is on the root of my usb drive, what commands would I need to copy it from the usb drive to the flash other than going the TFTP route ofcourse.. I know how to point to a variety of image files once on the router memory but not from external usb that 's plugged into the router..

any info would be great and you've been a tremendous help!

geranimo

Burt-

Forgot to state that I would like to just copy the image(bin) file from the USB to the flash and THEN point to it so when I power cycle the router, than would be the bin it uses from flash memory.

thanks again
geranimo

Ya got me there, bro...I did not know the things come with USB ports on them now...interesting...I will have to Google that...lol

Burt

I hear ya, it must be there for a reason.. obviously for those that want to copy directly from the USB instead of over TFTP.. seems logical..

geranimo

when you plug in your usb key do you see a usb: message in the log?

i tried sticking my 1gb usb key in an 1841 but it woudn't reckognize it so i ended up just using tftp...

well i just checked google.. looks liek maybe they can only use 256mb flash drives and smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back