Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New 1120E on BCM50 in Local Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Nortel

Technical User
Nov 23, 2010
US
Hello,
I know very little about my sites with BCM. I attempted to install two 1120E IP phones at a location with little success. I put the phones in place entered the password and they auto configured with DNs. However the phones are in local mode and do not dial properly. I tried to copy a working phone onto one but, that did not help. All the settings seem correct but the phones are not dialing properly.
Thank you for your assistance!

When you suggest local mode, do you mean your BCM is infact an SRG? If yes, do you have lines (e.g. BRI/PRI) on the BCM? If yes, providing they have the approrpiate line pool, there is no reason why they should not be able to dial out locally. Forget normal mode, until you've proven you can make a call out in local mode, assuming you have lines on the SRG.

Yes, I can make a call by dialing out. 9, phone number.

So when the sets are in local mode, you can dial out across PSTN. What exactly happens when they are in normal mode?

Normal mode allows 4 digit dialing across the Data line into our PBX. Also in Local Mode you cannot dial the DN.

Regarding "Also in Local Mode you cannot dial the DN." do you mean when set is in local mode, you cannot dial a set in normal mode? Try dialling the voip trunk access code, followed by the set in normal mode. Also check the set in normal mode on the SRG is set to call forward all to voip trunk access code+the extension number. e.g. assuming BUID is the same as the extension, and the extension is 221, voip trunk access code is 7, then when set is in normal mode, it should show call forward all calls to 7221.

Also I assume you've configured the sets on the srg, so they all have pool which is the voip lines.

Otherwise to look at the feps (gateway log) to give you an indication of what's going on. For example, if sip, do you see sip invite message going out?

Don't know exactly what you mean by "Normal mode allows 4 digit dialing across the Data line into our PBX". Try dialling from normal mode set to local mode set.

The lines are all set to pool. I am unable to get to the feps log. I have to assume at this point that the auto build was the wrong approach to setting up this phone. The other lines on the system also alway show offline and do not list IP addresses where the two phones I just built show online and give IP addresses. Does anyone know of a resource on building an IP phone from scratch on a BCM 50.

Pk -- thank you for trying to help me but my skill set is not good enoungh to keep up.

They need to be in normal mode . That means basicly the PBX is in control of thoes sets and need to be programed at the PBX to work in normal mode but there is some programming to be done on the BCM side also. Look at the set up in srg programing at the other sets.Like pkello the BUID nees to be set up.

No I definately found that the phones are set up on the PBX at another location. Much different programming and that I'm a little more familar with. I'm working on them now and hope to report sucess soon. Thank you.

Correct the phones are register on the local BCM. I need them registered on the remote PBX CS1000. I have built the phone on the Virtual TN and DN on the PBX. I don't know how to program the phone to get that information. The phone continually registers to the BCM which puts it in local mode.

Any thoughts? I know I'm just not approaching this from the correct angle but it is getting very annoying.

Thanks for attempting to straighten me out.

If the phones are up in local mode, then you don't need to do anything extra at the phones themselves. Under the SRG tab on the BCM, have you configured the BUID & MOTN to reflect the BUID & MOTN on the CS1K. Until you do, you won't be able to redirect the phones to normal mode.

Regardless of the above, if the sets are in local mode, and you've assigned then the appropriate line pools (nameley the voip line pool so the callforward all calls will work when the sets are in normal mode AND the appropriate line pool for the PSTN assuming it is on the BCM). $64000 question is do you have pstn connection on the BCM? If yes, then can you dial out with the sets in local mode across PSTN. Assuming you can, can you dial the voip trunk access code and dial a CS1k phone, or just dial the extension number of a set in normal mode?

Simplest scenario: if the sets are in local mode, you have pstn on the SRG/BCM, then can you dial in and out? If not, forget complicating the situation further, until you resolve this.

regards
paul

Alright my last attempt, this may have beaten me.

I have built the TN and DN of my PBX.
I have programmed the phone with the proper IP, subnet mask, gateway etc.....
When I plug the phone into the network it wants the password to configure the phone.
The phone configure and I can assign it a DN.

The phone comes up and is registered as that DN. There is PSTN to the site and those numbers (which also happen to be the fax machine) come up on the left two soft keys. I can dial 9,ten digit number. The caller id from that DN comes up as the fax number. In the BCM itself the only SRG are I see has nothing come up when I go to it. I do not see an SRG tab. to build a BUID or MOTN.

What I want to do is have the phone connect to the signalling server and get the information built in the PBX. I don't know why this is not happeneng. I'm sure I am overlooking something minor.

Check keycodes, and ensure SRG is Active, rather than ADDED plus the value should be 1 or for example 716, not 0. If the value is 0, SRG is not keycode enabled.

If the keycode value is 0, then you have a BCM, not an SRG, and you won't be able to configure it to be an SRG (i.e. you won't be able to configure BUID & MOTN, and won't see SRG).

If it is valid & Active, you should see under configuration->resources->survivable remote gateway. In which case you should see and be able to change two tabs:
a) S1000 Main office settings
b) S1000 IP Terminal details.
If you can see configuration->resources->survivable remote gateway, however cannot change any values, try downloading and installing the latest element manager manager version from avaya.

If you cannot see see configuration->resources->survivable remote gateway, and yet you do have an SRG valid keycode, try a hard power reset.

Well it appears that none of my lines have been building because I do not have enough licenses. So now my question is: I have one license being taken up by a phone I tried to build but now says unequipped. How do I release that license.

How do I know what devices are using the licenses? I have looked in element Manager and it gives me IPs but I am using 10 licenses and there are only 9 IPs (1120 phones)listed.

Don't look at active sets, look at resources->IP sets; you might have to deregister one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back