Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New 10/100 switch and samba doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenris

Programmer
May 20, 1999
CA
I just got a new 10/100 swith. All of a sudden samba doesn't work anymore. The nic in my linux box is a dlink dfe530tx, the switch is a dlink switch. I have the same nic in my windows box as well. When both machines are runing the indicator lights on the hub show that both cards are in 100 mode. I can ping to and from both machines, with ips and names. I have IP masqing setup on the linux box and I can traceroute from the windows box to the internet (only with IP's though, not sure why the DNS is not working?) Is there a setting in samba that would tell it to use 100 mode or something like that? I know that if I put the old 10M hub back it works like a charm.<br><br>Any help would be appreciated.<br><br> <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

If you are running NetBEUI, and the SAMBA server and the Windows client are on different networks, then the switch may be interfering.&nbsp;&nbsp;NetBIOS, the protocol used here, is a broadcast protocol.&nbsp;&nbsp;A PC sends out a shout for (help?) information, and anything on the same network that knows the answer shouts (broadcasts) it back.<br><br>On the hub you may have got away with having different IP addresses.&nbsp;&nbsp;As the switch is more intelligent, it may be stopping the broadcast messages from getting through.<br><br>Here's a couple of things to try.&nbsp;&nbsp;If your two boxes are on different networks, try setting the Windows box IP address so that it is on the same network as the SAMBA server.<br><br>If that doesn't work, on the Windows box go to the Network applet in the Control Panel.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check the TCP/IP properties NetBIOS tab and make sure that &quot;I want to run NetBIOS over TCP/IP&quot; is ticked.<br><br>If none of that works, I'm out of ideas...<br><br>Let us know how you get on :) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

The windows box is on the same network?: <br>windows: 192.168.0.2, 255.255.255.0<br>linux: 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0<br><br>Unfortunately I do not have a hub(or access to one) that is capable of 100Mbs.<br><br>As for the &quot;netbios over tcp/ip&quot; I am almost positive that I have this checked, but I will check again. I know the switch works as I tested it out on the network at work. I haven't tested to see if I can ftp or telnet into linux as I have the services shutdown. I had tried using the switch a month or two back. Ftp and telnet didn't work then. At that time I just went back to the 10M hub because I would have had to change the nics around since the ip's were relayed via dhcp and that was based on the MAC of the nic that I registered and I didn't have the time or the knowledge to do that. I have a little bit more time now and I would like to be able to take advantage of the cards speed. When I get home tonight I will activate telnet and ftp on linux and see if I can access them. Could it be a cabling issue? I have used 6' patch cords that I know work (tested them at work and could achieve 100Mbs). I am pretty sure that everything works, as far as the network settings go. Are there any special considerations that I need to make with a switch?<br><br>Thanks in advance... <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You might want to check the switch to determine wether or not it is allowing broadcasts on all ports, or at least the 2 you are using.&nbsp;&nbsp;I know Cisco switches will not (by default anyway) pass broadcasts on to all ports in the switch.<br><br>Try going into the config console on the switch and allow the 2 ports you are using to view all network traffic. I don't know the precise config line you would have to add, but it should help, unless you have more devices on the switch that need to see the linux and windows box.

Kerzon, this switch is a dlink dss8, not a very expensive or fancy one. It doesn't have any config console (as far as I know, but the manual doesn't indicate one). I think I may have a solution, but I will not be able to try it out till tonight. I went to dlink's site and downloaded the drivers for the nic's. The drivers came as c source code. I started reading through the source code and docs, and I believe that there may be a compile option that will fix the problem.<br><br>I hope this works..... <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back