Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netzero connection sucks up Windows Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMPMICRO

Vendor
Jan 16, 2003
CA
Have a P3-800Mhz system w/ Win98SE / 128MB Ram. I have stripped down the startup and registry so free resources are app 90% after a normal startup. After connecting to the Paid Netzero Acct, free resources go down below 25%. Brings computer right to its knees like it is locked up. Already checked for viruses, used spybot, and adaware with nothing found. Also disabled 3rd party browser helper objects. As soon as I disconnect/logoff Netzero (Dial-UP). my free resources return, well at least most of them. any ideas?

Netzero sucks? Gosh, that's an amazing discovery!! ;-)

Seriously though, what kind of modem are you using? A software (windmodem) I presume?!

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

It is one of my clients, so I am not sure exactly what the modem is, but it is a Compaq Prosignia and it probably does have a winmodem. I do know it is a 56k. Also, it had been working fine until app 1 month ago, before it started locking up his system. There was also no other s/w r h/w changes made.

Merrill

netzero is a waste of time, there are other internet providers out there that are less than the paid netzero, with absolutley no pop ups or advertisement bars.

it has national numbers and is only 8.95 a month for unlimited access.
take a look at it, it's not a bad deal.
just tell them jtaylor1074 referred you.

I use the free version of NetZero for testing and I have it on a 486 100MHZ PC and it doesn't kill the resources as you describe. You might try Hijack This. It may be a problem with the modem, as suggested.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back