Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netwrok Setup w/ VoiP

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4a2t0t

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I just recently had a 11 phone cisco VoiP system installed in my netwrok and we are planning to add another 20 phones to this. Currently at our office we have 5 servers (all gigbit),10 workstations, 8 printers(7 network capable) and 11 VoiP phones. We are planning to add a call center to another office on the first floor of our building (we are on the 6th floor). Our call center floor will have about 25 workstations, 25 VoiP phones, and 2 network printers.

In my network I have a cisco 2950-24 switch, sonicwall pro 2050, linksys 24 port gigabit switch. I have a 6MB line that feeds into my sonicwall, from the sonicwall it goes into the cisco 2950(port 1), out of the cisco gigabit port 1 into my linksys switch. All my VoiP are connected to the 2950 and my servers and workstations and connected to the linksys.

What equipment would you buy and how would you connect it? I am going to need a switch or 2 for the call center on floor one and seperate switches for the 6th floor office. I dont want to go through the phones soft switch to get my network connection.

Costs would need to stay under $10K.

Hi!

Hi,

I will probably buy 2 Cisco 3550-24-PWR with in line power(to feed the ip phones).
I will change the 2950 that you already have for one of these 3550, and move the 2950 to the new floor thogether with the other 3550. Than you could connect 24 phones to the 3550 and the last one you connect to the 2950 with the power adapter.

For these to work I will assume that the cisco phones have a 2 port switch, for you can connect the machines to one of these ports.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,

Feliz

Sounds pretty good. Is the 3550 a L3 switch? Would you keep the linksys gigabit switch for the 6th floor LAN?

Hi!

Hi,

Yes, the 3550 is a L3 switch.
You should keep the linksys for the server connections, theres no need to spend more money in a new switch.
If you want to improve your LAN performance you should get GBIC's for interconnection of the switches. Probably the 2950 doesn't support GBIC, but the 3550 does.

Best regards,

Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back