Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Xp Pro with 98se via hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

rauneh

Technical User
Sep 11, 2002
US
i have 2 machines: Xp Pro and 98se

static ip's (192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11)(tried others as well)

subnet 255.255.255.0 on both machines
tcp/ip installed on both pc's

Workgroup 'name'is the same on both pc's Each machine has its own 'computer' name

hard drive is 'shared' on 98 pc and 2 folders and printers are 'shared' on xp box

Netgear 'EN104tp' hub

Each pc can ping itself and the other pc:by ip address or computer name

Xp's firewall is disabled
ZoneAlarm 3.7.098 (Tried installed and not. Running and not)

I can 'see' and browse the shared folders on the Xp machine from the 98 machine (as well as the printers on the Xp machine)

The Xp machine can NOT see the 98 machine at all.

Ideas?

Thank you

On the 98 box try unsharing the hard drive and instead share selected folders. I have had problems on a similar setup accessing shared drives but folders are ok. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Tried Mulga's suggestion. No luck.
Tried Courtmonkee's suggestion. No luck.

However, there is a slight change. Now I can't ping the Xp machine (by name or ip address) from the 98 machine.

I can still view the Xp's shared folders from 98. I can also change file names on the Xp machine from the 98 machine.

Xp still CAN NOT see the 98 machine at all.
Anyone have a match?

I installed NetBuei, from the xp pro cd, and voila. I could see the 98 machine from the xp machine.

Simple fix. Eventually.

Glad you fixed it, still leaves me puzzled as to what the problem with TCP/IP was. You will not be able to share Internet connection via netbuei but it is fine for all other purposes. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

Go to network properties on the 98 machine. Click "File and Print Sharing" and make sure "I want to be able to give others access to my files" is checked. [Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
[pc3]

You are right about the internet sharing. Any ideas? Since, for the life of me, I can't figure out why I needed netbuei on my xp machine.

OK, catch 22 ICS will only work with TCP/IP but TCP/IP won't work...
One of my teachers always advised when you have a sticky network problem and all else has failed, go back to basics. Remove all networking components, including NIC card drivers, protocols etc from both systems then reinstall and reconfigure from scratch. You will need XP and Win98 CDs to reinstall the network components and of course the drivers from your NIC cards. I know it sounds a bit drastic but it has worked for me in the past. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

had the same problem with my 98se desktop and xp laptop. On my laptop set up a home or small office network under my network places and formated a disk for me to install on my 98se and worked fine. my wife uses the desktop downloading music while I listen to them while I do some work on my laptop

I agree with Mujka, start from scratch by removing networking components on both and disabling all firewalls. Make notes on the various NICs and drivers before removing them.Have your install disks ready. Make your XP the master since it is more stable, and get your internet connection on the XP machine. Then use the XP network connection wizard to make the connection to the SE machine. Make sure the ICS is not installed on SE. XP firewall should also be set up. Finally set up your shares for drives and printers.
DHCP should be enabled on the internet connection for XP, disabled on the card that connects XP to the hub (IP address should be automatically set up as 192.168.0.1). DHCP should be enabled on the SE NIC (IP address should be automatically set up as 192.168.0.xxx).

Forget the Networking wizard. That thing complicates everything. Make sure you have no firewall software installed when you do your configuration

The key is enabling Winxp to use Netbios under xp's TCP/IP properties. It is not enabled by default. There is an article on the MS knowledge base that gives instructions how to do that.

You shouldn't need any other protocol.

Whan everything works, re-install your fw software and configure it not to check the internal network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back