Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking XP Pro to Windows 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

happykappy

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
I have 2 PCs, one with Windows XP Pro and the windows 2K Pro. Sp 1 and SP4 on the respective PC. XP pro is the main PC for the software. Installed 2K with one admin user and that one is able to see and connect to the main PC. Adding another user to the 2K Pro PC and that user is unable to map to the Main XP Pro PC. Asks for a user log on and Password, whereas the original user does not need one. Can anyone help me get the 2nd user on the 2KPro PC to map to the XP without any user logon or pwd.

What access permissions are set on the XP drive, you might need the Everyone set to allow access.

Both machines should have identical use names and password if you want easy sharing between them. You can also have a small batch file running on startup with the command:

NET USE X: \\XPComputer\SharedFolderName /USER:UserName Password /PERSISTENT:NO

The particular software co states that there is incompatabilites between Windows XP Pro and Windows 2K Pro. Both have to be NTFS. I set the XP drive for Everyone to have access. I set up the simple permissions which allowed me to do. The Co states that since 2000 does not have simple permissions it is not that compatable. I tried to use:
NET USE F: \\<servername or IP>\SharedFolderName /Everyone:Usernamepassword /Persistant:Yes
Got an error message with user name and password. Both PCs have the same user name and password. But did not work. Any other suggestions or is it true that there is an incompatability between XP Pro and Windows 2K Pro.

IF "Use Simple File Sharing - recommended" is checked in Folder Options, Views, then a remote user authenticates as a member of the Guest account. With "Simple File Sharing" unchecked, the user authenticates as themselves, and exactly follows the Win2k security model.

Uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing", and then add to the XP machine as new users all users with their passwords from the Win2k machine.

Right-click the folder to be shared on the XP machine, Properties, Security, and redo your permissions to allow Everyone full priviliges to the share.

I also did the simple file sharing on the user name but it also disconnects and does not reconnect. I tried to autodisconnect time in registry to maximum but still does not always disconnect. I made sure all on the same network IP gateway. Is it true what the software co is telling me, that XP and 2K are not 100% compatable as far as file sharing goes. I do not know exactly what I did, but occasionally it reconnects as the inital user/administrator of the 2K PC but not always. I am confused.

Is it true what the software co is telling me, that XP and 2K are not 100% compatable as far as file sharing goes."

With Simple File Sharing disabled, this statement is false.

This is a stupid question... but
are you on the same ip address group? subnet? how about workgroup name? any firewall? what about security wherein you have to give a name their rights to access that folder?

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back