Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking XP laptop to windows 2000 desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sghmim

Vendor
Oct 13, 2003
AU
Through cross over cable. Just can't get it to work.

Me neither. I even tried using the XP Network setup disc on the desktop to no avail.

The XP machine says the is a network connection connected but I cannot see the other machine from it.

Do you have the same user AND password on both machines?

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

I know I have hi-jacked this forum but......

Yes I have the same User name and password on both machines.

I have tried to set up the IP address as 192.168.0.2 & 192.168.0.3 (no idea if that works because I cannot ping them). I can see a network on the desktop but how do I allow access to the XP laptop?

I've have tried the "\\network name\folder" without any joy. All the websites I've looked at make look so easy but I am struggling.

What are your default gateway settings under TCP/IP properties? If it's something spurious it could cause problems.

This is long but maybe some ideas for you. I would definitely make usernames, etc unique. Verify that your network cards in both machines are compatible as far as speed, i.e. both 10mps or 100 or 10/100. If yo haven't already, doublecheck cables and connections.

Also, Win2k sometimes has a problem(known bug) syncing to the network. Try turning off both machines, and then boot them up with the win2k machine starting after the Xp machine. Then check the network.

Are using TCP/IP or Netbeui network protocol? If Netbeui, you don't need the IP addresses. If TCP/IP, you'll need to use static IP addresses as someone suggested earlier. I got bit several years ago and couldn't get a win98 and win2k machine to 'see' each other unless I had both protocols installed even though I shouldn't have had to have both.

If you're not using a router or Internet Connection SHaring which simulates a router, DHCP won't work(auto assigns IP addresses). Just go into TCP/IP settings and specify the 192.168.1.x addresses. You have to use static IP addresses if using just a hub or switch rather than a router with TCP/IP.

Next thing is that the switch itself could be the problem if it uses 'autosensing'. If it's just 2 machines, you might want to test with a crossover cable instead and see if you get a better sync.
(take a look at these links at Microsoft and
If you need more in-depth help offline, let me know unless it's against forum rules. I just joined today so not sure.

I have finally managed to get ICS working but I cannot see the shared drives on the machine. The errors I am getting is talking about administration authorities. Does anyone know how to find/change/add these authorities on both machines?

I'm assuming you're getting the msg on the non-XP pc but pls verify and can you post the exact error msg you're getting?
Can you see the shared drive from the other machine? Is your logon id in a group with administrative rights(XP only)?

In XP, if you right-click on the My Computer icon and choose 'Manage', you go to the Administrative Tools. One of those that you'll see is 'users and groups'. Check the logon id there for the access rights. Id needs to be in the 'administrators' group.

You may be able to get to Users from Control Panel too, but I'm not on my XP machine right now, so apologies if I'm mistaken. If you're really stuck and want a live walk-thru via phone, let me know.

rcraw2838

I can successfully ping from one machine (192.168.0.1) to the other (192.168.0.129) and vice-versa but when I try to NET USE to the other machines drives I get a message saying I am not the administrator of the domain. Well considering I set the thing up, who the bleep is?

My XP ID is in the administrators group so where do I go from here?

Also how do I grant/create authority on the WIN98 PC?

PCVIrgin
fyi - you don't have a domain created right now - you won't need one so the 'net use' isn't applicable. Can't have a domain unless you have a MS Server product installed like Win2k or NT.

rcraw2838,

Ok, so I dont need to use the NET command. Why can I not see the XP machine from the WIN98 machine or vice-versa?

I have a working shared internet connection from the XP machine but I cannot connect/see drives from the WIN98 machine?

To be clear- you can't see the WIN98 pc from the XP pc nor can you see the XP pc from the WIN98 pc?
IF so, check the following: (apologies if you already have)

You do have the 'workgroup' name on both computers set to the same name, right? i.e. MSHOME

You have 'File and Printer SHaring' turned on on both machines in the Network properties?

Did you use the 'New connection WIzard' in XP to let it configure your Network connection? If not, do that, assuming the above questions were 'yes'.

Also, how did you share the drives on the machines? Be specific. Can you see whatever you shared on the XP pc in the XP "SHared FOlders" area?

On the XP pc: find the chapter on "File and Printer Sharing Troubleshooting" in Help and SUpport, if you haven't already and see if that walkthru helps.

As far as granting authority on win98--win98 doesn't really have security anywhere close to win2000,nt or xp.

In Windows 98, security is only on a folder and drive level; you can't set individual access rights at the file level. This is because there are many different means of getting at a file in Win98 through various DOS interrupts, BIOS functions,etc. So you don't have 'Groups' with access rights, etc. like XP does.

I know this is frustrating. Hang in there - I'm on my XP machine now and will get on the WIn98 pc later or tomorrow and maybe see something I've missed that will solve this.

Past anything else, I'd rip out(uninstall) all the networking components, and start from scratch(reinstall). SOmetimes things just get messed up in the Networking area and that's the most expedient way to resolve. I actually had this same problem last year and that's what I ended up doing.

hi rcraw2838,

i used to see my 98se machine from my xp laptop through a crossover cable. however, for some reason i cannot access them anymore. i used the same passwords and workgroup plus i made sure i have a static ip address. i even bought a new nic suspecting that my in board nic is defective. now i know that my nic's are not defective. is it the cable maybe? what did i miss in the procedure?

thanks,
krakatoa

Hi krakatoa
Are you using the same crossover cable that worked before? In not, are you sure the cable you are using is a crossover? Can you ping the xp pc from the 98 pc and vice versa?

hi rcraw2838,

i am using the same crossover cable and quite sure that it's really a crossover since i was able to connect before. i can ping the ip address from xp pc to 98se pc and vise versa but i can't ping using the computer name. i also noticed that when i cannot network the 2 pc's i get only about 4 to 9 sent packets after boot up. i know that i can see the other computer if i get 50 to 90 sent packets after boot up.

thanks for any help,

krakatoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back