Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking with Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbleprogrammer

Programmer
Oct 30, 2002
US
Hi,

I am trying to network 4 Windows XP computers with a Windows 2000 Pro. All computers are connected to a hub; there is no Internet access or router. I am assigning all computers static IP’s ranging from 192.168.1.10 through 192.168.1.14; I set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway to 192.168.1.1. All computers have the same workgroup. I have shared directories on the 2000 and XP with proper permissions. I also have the same logins and passwords setup on all computers.

Problem is, the XP computers can't see or ping the others on the network. The Windows 2000 Pro can see the XP's but if you click on the XP from the Windows 2000, it gives a network path not found message.

I am not to worried about accessing the XP's from the 2000 but I need to access the 2000 from the XP's, which I can't get to work. Does anyone have any idea's on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Install NETBeui on the XP's.. make sure it's on the 2000's as well.. maybe that will help you to see each other.. but not being able to ping.. what's the server's address? 192.168.1.1? If so, that's really frickin weird.. aahh..just give netbeui a try.. google it up

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Thanks snootalope for your reply. I have NetBeui installed on all machines. The machine that's acting as the server - the Windows 2000 machine isn't set to 192.168.1.1. Could this be the problem? Should I set the 2000 machine to 192.168.1.1 so it can act as the gateway?

Thanks.

no need to set the server as the gateway if you have no where for it to be a gateway to. Name resolution is the key here netbuie will work but they must all be in the same work group if you want them all to have access to the shares unless you just want to you don't need ip addresses for this .

Thanks jwynn for your reply. All machines are in the same workgroup. Should I leave the gateway blank when setting the TCP/IP properties? I have also tried obtaining ip automatically but with no luck.

How do I use Name resolution rather then netbuie? If I don't use IP Addresses, how do I set up the XP's so they can see the Windows 2000?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back