Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking winxp pro with win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

elemental

Programmer
Mar 17, 2001
CA
Hey guys! This is not my area of expertise, but a guy wants help and will pay me so..... Basically what he wants is to hook three computers together so that they talk (ie network) two of them run XP PRO and 1 runs Win98. BUT he wants to be able to see whats on the hard drives of the other two (win 98 an dXP) computers. I'm not sure that it can be done without some special software. He also doesn't want the kids to get into his drive from the network. And somehow I don't think that win98 and xp with talk with each other. But I truly don't know and would like some guidance and explanation as to how I can set this all up. He also wants to be able to add things to the other hard drives. Frankly, I wouldn't like that.
thanks guys in advance
Erik

As long as they are running the same protocols there shouldn't be any problems. How does he have them cabled? Does he have DSL? If so, does he run it through an internet sharing router? Those can run DHCP and pass out IP addresses. If not, you'll have to give them their own address. Share each of the drives you want the other PC's to be able to see.

They can definitely talk to each other...two things to remember because they are different OS's ..make sure that NetBIOS over tcp/ip is enabled on the 98 comp and when setting up a name for a shareable file..do not use more than 12 characters. If he only shares the files he wants to share..there will not be a problem with accessing other files he does not want to share as long as he does not set up an entire drive as shareable.

He needs a hub..if he does not have one.

to login to other computers in a xp/98 environment you must create a user for the 98 computer on each winXP box.

For example, if you log in to the 98 box with the login/password as Bob/Bob. You must make a user "Bob" with the password "bob" on both XP boxes. im guessing you have xp home? you can make a user under users in the Control Panel.

To share a foler with 98 make sure file and print sharing is turned on under network neighborhood properties (it might ask for the win98 CD). With XP you should be able to right click the folder and select sharing options. no special software is needed. You may also want to put the computers in the same workgroup.

you will need...

1. a hub (or router for cable/dsl internt)
2. catagory 5. cable from your local computer store.
3. Network cards in all the computers.

Good luck. -Nate

"to login to other computers in a xp/98 environment you must create a user for the 98 computer on each winXP box.

For example, if you log in to the 98 box with the login/password as Bob/Bob. You must make a user "Bob" with the password "bob" on both XP boxes. im guessing you have xp home? you can make a user under users in the Control Pan
"

This is only true if simple file sharing is disabled.

Would I be able to set up a wireless network?

Yes, the network function will be the same and you will need similar components. Following Nate302's component order above, you'd need:

1. Wireless Access Point (with router for sharing broadband internet)
2. unobstructed air (within distance limitations)
3. Wireless network cards.

Make sure your cards & access point are compatible, there are several different standards. Also, while wireless is often more convienient, it is still slower and more prone to interference then it's wired counterpart. There is also the potential security risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back