Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Windows 2000 and 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammyo2k

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
GB
I'm trying to network 2 pcs together, one running windows 2000 and the other running 98. I'm using ethernet cards and crossover cable. TCP/IP is installed on both machines. The 2000 machine IP is set to 10.1.1.1 and the 98 machine is set to 10.1.1.2. I'm getting icons showing me that there is a LAN connection but i am unable to view either of the machines. Both machines are members of WORKGROUP.
Any suggestions?

Have you set permissions to allow the 98 computer to access files on the Win2K computer?

the Win2k computer has been set to allow anyone access to the 98 computer. However, I cannot even get the 98 machine to see the win2k machine, or vice versa.

You will need to have the file and print sharing protecol installed on both machines.
Also, for the 98 machine to be able to access teh 2k one, you will have to create a user and Pword for the 98 to log in with. Make it identical to the log in on the 98 machine, but make sure it is different than the log in for the 2k one.
You will also need to create a share on the machines. Good luck, and Happy Computing

The computers do not ping.
sharing protocols are present on both and drives and folders are shared on both.
I have created a log in for the 98 machine but there is no difference. Is there a step-by-step guide that someone could point me towards? I'm sure I've missed something pretty basic.
Thanks for all your help

okkk you have to check your hardware, before your software.

If it does'nt ping, check your cable.
Try a ping -t 10.1.1.1 from your 98 and squeeze your network cable to see if you get a response.

You MUST have a response do make it work.

Also, it may be a software like norton Internet Security, or a firewall. in this case, disable them.

When I ping the 2k machine from the 98 machine I get a request timed out message. But the 2K machine seems to be recieving the data (shown in the status box) but it's not responding. I've set both cards to full duplex but there's no change. My firewall got deleted when my second hard drive crashed. The progrma is still in the registry, would that make a difference?

Try changing your cable, some wire may be wrong.
The two computers may indicate that they're linked, but the data does not pass.

I know a bug with Zone alarm, yes delete all key from your firewall in your registry related to your firewall. I don't think this will change anything but...
Verify if you have a process who runs too.
When deleting Zone Alarm, something stay in processes.

Do you have another computer for testing?

What is your subnetmask on both machine?
they must be:
255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 or 255.0.0.0 on both computers.

Zonealarm shouldn't work if it isn't started, and if the files aren't there then it won't start. If you wanted to be 100% sure, just load it on again and leave it wide open so that you know it's clear.

This sounds like a cable problem at the moment - have you got another one you can try?

Failing that, you could always load a simpler protocol like NetBEUI and see if you get any communication with that.

Clean your registry with regclean. Even though it shouldn't affect your system.

Have you checked the crossover cable? Is it a known good cable?

I received an answer to a similar question...I could see the win 98 machine from the 2000 workstation but I couldn't see 2000 from the win 98 machine. what protocols are you running? try running netbios (make sure it is on both machines) I had only netbios running on the 98 machine and could not see both directions.

Even if ZoneAlarm is not loaded or running it can affect the ping and network connectivity. The reason is that software firewalls will modify the TCP protocol to allow it to be able to monitor and block requests as needed. So if your firewall was deleted and not uninstalled. Either reinstall and then uninstall or completely remove the TCP stack form your Windows 98 machine and rebuild the stack by pulling hte files from your CD and not the local hard drvie to make sure that the untouched original ones are being used.

To simply share files between the computer you could also ditch the TCP mess and deal with the NetBEUI protocol. This method is the simple answer, provided your network cards and cable are fully functional.

Aye that was why I mentioned installing NetBEUI to eliminate the TCP side, although it's still unlikely that a non-existant firewall program would prevent access, but technically yes it's possible.

I'm curious though. Are these the same two machines you mentioned in thread616-518711?

Thanks to everyone for their help. In the end I had to give up. I only needed to transfer a large amount of data once so I ended up finding an old hard disc which did the job. Everyone has been helpful and supportive, I'll certainly visit this forum again.
Thanks to everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back