Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Win 2000 pro & Win XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I have networked winxp pro and win2k pro pc. I can easily access files and folders of win2000 pc from winxp pc by typing \\win2000pc and entering username, password of win2000 pc. But when tried from win2000 pc by typing \\winxppc ,it asked me a username, password, i entered right details but i just cannot connect, i entered the same username and password which i use to log on to winxp pc but i cannot connect...any ideas?

Add as a new local user(s) on Computer A, the usernames and passwords of the users on Computer B.

Add as a new local user(s) on Computer B, the usernames and passwords of the users on Computer A.

The password for your winxppc isn't blank is it? I have ran into this with XP Pro machines running SP2. I don't believe that XP SP2 machines will accept blank passwords.

As bcastner said

"Add as a new local user(s) on Computer A, the usernames and passwords of the users on Computer B.

Add as a new local user(s) on Computer B, the usernames and passwords of the users on Computer A."

But if im networking 2 win2000 pc; these users accounts doesnt needs to be created in each pc isnt it?

From the 2000 machine to the XP machine, try entering the username as computername\username and then the password for the username on the XP machine, where "computername" is the computername of the XP machine and "username" is the username from the XP machine.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I tried as lander21 said but didnt worked.
I tried opening an accout name user1 with password pass1 in winxp pc and tried to access frm win 2000 and entering the user1 and pass as pass1 but couldnt log in.

Try this, it worked for me. You need to set the security levels on your folders on the windows xp machine. By default you cannot see the security tab on xp. Therefore on win explorer on win xp machine, click Tools, folder options, view tab, and uncheck the 'use simple file sharing' checkbox. No go to the shares on the xp machine that you want available to your win 2000 machine and set it to Everyone full control. It should work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back