Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking, routers, and IP's help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucidity23

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
US
Ok...here is the prob I am having...

I have 2 systems, a router with 1 port and a hub with 5 ports...

the current setup is the DSL line comes into the hub and PC #1 comes off the hub...PC #2 is connected to the router which is connected to the hub...

Here are some of the problems I am hitting...I cannot access PC #2 when I am on PC#1 when I go into network neighborhood...PC #2 is on and running and surfing the net, however I cannot access it that way from Pc #1...

other troubles...the router and IP Filtering... I have a few ports I need to keep open but I am uncertain if the IP I send the open ports too...is there something I need to do on the system I am sending that IP to? do I need to go into the network settings and assign that IP?

For now that should be it...more questions will follow I am certain...
- carpe diem -

I would try going from the DSL to the router, then to the hub and have both PC's off the hub. What type of router are you using? It may act as a DHCP server for you.

Matt WRay
CCNA

It is a linksys 1 port router..

the only reason I do not do it that way is guz my other system is a gaming system so it would mess up me being able to host and/or even play some games...

I just was able to access the system via the WAN IP address...the one my ISP provides it...I was hoping I could acces it via an IP that I assigned it through the router...but from PC's outside of the LAN...
- carpe diem -

you know, on some of the routers, you can setup machines behind the router as a DMZ which might solve your game hosting problems. Other than that, you might want to try port forwarding. Sometimes you can setup a router from telnet or a web browsrer by connecting to to the routers IP or something like that.

Mattwray and Hjb417 has the right of it. Set up router to hub to PCS, and then web access the router. In there you will find port mapping, and/or the ability to set one machine IP address as being in the DMZ...which is fully exposed to the Internet (as you have it connected now.)

Alex

Thanks all...

I setup the network with the router taking the connection and sending it to the hub which then distributes it..

I will let you know how it works out...I will be unable to test it until tonight...but I think I got the DMZ setup right and all..

Thanks!!
- carpe diem -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back