Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Question - WinXP & Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycaine

Programmer
Feb 8, 2003
CA
I posted the original message in the PC Peripherals thread, and realized it may be in the wrong place as I don't think it's a hardware issue...

Link to thread:
The gist of the problem is as follows, increased security on two WinXP machines networked to Win98 machine, now Win98 can be accessed easily, but neither WinXP machine can access or even 'see' each other, nor can the Win98 machine 'see' the WinXp machines...

'Security adjustments' made several weeks ago, and I now have no idea what it might be, does anyone have any idea of where I might start?

Thanks in advance!

T.C.

Reset all security on both xp boxes.

Re-enable admin shares if disabled, do not hide the xp boxes in network searches, if either of these are done...

There TONS of things you can do to cause this issue with xp, all within group policy....I would personally undo what you have done, and do them each one at a time, to see what the exact cause is, if your actually interested, but a quick fix is sometimes to just reset the box...ALTHOUGH, in my experience that doesnt always work, either....:0)

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

Thank you for the suggestions!

I finally got it to work by going back and checking the 'guest' accounts on the two WinXP machines, one had the guest account deactivated, the other had a password set on the 'guest' account...

A relatively simply fix although it had me pulling my hair out for a while. One way I checked the accounts, for those who might have the same problem, is by going to the Command Prompt and typing 'net users' (without the single quotes).

This will list the user accounts on the machine, then 'net user accountname' will show details of that account.

If an account is deactivated (like the guest account above) it can be reactivated by typing 'net user accountname /active:yes' (and /active:no to deactivate it)

More details on the 'net user' commands can be found by doing a search on google or similar.

Hope this helps others!

T.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back