Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyH

Programmer
Jun 16, 2000
US
I just installed reinstalled Win2000 onto one of our computers and now I cannot access that computers files or printer from another win2000 computer.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have it set on sharing and we are all under a workgroup but for some reason that one can connect to the other computers but we cannot connect to it. Any help would be appreciated.<br>Thank you,<br>Sandy

When you set the w2k box to sharing did you also actually share anything. What I mean is you have to right click on the folder or printer and goto sharing, from make share that it is shared. Then you should be able to use the devices from other computers. <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Yes I have done that and still I cannot connect to that computer.&nbsp;&nbsp;With the printer for example when I click on Add printer and click on network printer the printer shows up in the list of network printers but says &quot;Error: Access Denied&quot; but I am an Administrator so I should have access to everything correct?.

Try enabling the guest account on the computer. If you are in a workgroup then authentication is done on a local system basis. That is to say whoever wants access to resources on this box must be in the local users group. To preclude having to add individual accounts to each box, you can enable the guest account.<br><br>Another thing I have run across is that if I attempt to connect to a machine where we are logged in with the same account name, I will get access denied errors. I must be logged on with a different account than the logon account of the machine I am trying to access.<br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You say that you are an administrator.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, are you an administrator LOCALLY, or are you an administrator on the domain the machine joined?&nbsp;&nbsp;I've found that win2k is more picky about who gets to/sees what.&nbsp;&nbsp;Try going to control panel -&gt; users/passwords.&nbsp;&nbsp;Click on the advanced tab and then the advanced button in the advanced user management section.&nbsp;&nbsp;There you will be able to see the local users and groups.&nbsp;&nbsp;Add you (or your desired domain group) to the Administrators group for full access to all functionality.&nbsp;&nbsp;Adding the NT Domain users group to the power users group locally should be sufficient to run all programs. Power users group is needed as opposed to Users only if you have 16 bit legacy programs you want them to be able to run (who doesn't).<br><br>Hope this helps.

On the Windows 2000 machine your trying to access, go to Control Panel\ Users and Passwords\ Advanced tab\ Advanced\ Users, then right click on Guest, select properties, and uncheck Account is disabled. Then hit Apply.

SandyH...it sounds like the workstation doesn't have file/print sharing activated. Ensure that this option is checked in your network properties. ________
S. Joseph Vergara
SVergara@Texas.net

Try connecting to a shared directory on this machine using the following syntax from a command prompt:

net use x: \\<machine name>\<share> /user:<machine name>\administrator <admin password of the machine you want to access>

TO Jhanjon:
If you want to access to W2000 from 98,ME,... you will always get IPC logon box if you are not the member of domain
or workgroup to wich W2000 belongs.Try also with local
W2000 accounts.IPC password you can't type because only system knows it,it's not &quot;human&quot; password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back