Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Pc and Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

okcomp

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
US
Hi all
Just a short question. I have 1 XP Pro machine, one Win98se, and one Win Me all networked and all work just fine, question is, can I add to my network an Apple Powerbook 1400cs running Mac os 8.1, which is also online through the same switch and router as the other machines, if so any ideas as how to achive this.

If this is in the wrong forum please advise me.

Thanks
okcomp

Don't do much MAC, it is possible. However, don't think you're going to get anyone MAC friendly here. Try a google search. Good place to start...

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Thanks mattjurado, You pointed me in the right direction.
many thanks.
okcomp

Actually you can network Mac's and PC's..... or at least you use to be able to.

There was a networking protocol called "Appletalk".

This protocol allowed you to network windows 2000 to Mac's, unsure whether this was rolled over to XP or not...but worth a look none the same.

Don't know much about Mac o/s 8.1, but Mac OS X has got good samba support (windows-style file sharing).

What networking feature did you want?

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

As in true "Who wants to be a millionaire?"

I have phoned a friend!!!

And he has advised me that Apple powerbooks can link in to a MS local network such as yours, by using TCP/IP.

How this is done he is unsure but the ability is there.

Hope this helps.

Wow !!
I did not expect to get so many replys being that this forum is mostly PC based, I am a Pc person but I like a good challange now and then.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

okcomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back