Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking not installed/properly configured 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luv2bSly

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2004
US
In the System Properties on the Network Identification tab the Network ID button is grayed out and am not able to login/see the network. The message written is as follows:
NOTE: The identification of the computer cannot be changed because: - Networking is not installed or is not properly configured.

I unistalled/re-installed Networking Services and Other Network File and Print Servers.

All critical updates have been applied. Scanned for viruses and have latest definitions installed.

Any ideas?

Administrative Tools, Services
Check that the Worstation, DHCP, Remote Access, and Windows Time services are all running.

You will need to login as the Administrator.

Yes, the NIC is working. Just unable to login to the server/mount drives, use network printers, etc.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. I will try them and let you know.

Thanks to bcastner for the tip on checking services.

It turned out that Client for Microsoft Networks somehow got uninstalled. Once I installed that, rebooted, and rejoined the domain (join a workgroup, reboot, join domain, reboot) and all is working again.

Thanks for all the ideas !!!

Luv2bSly

Thanks for the tips. I just googled the error message in quotes, and it took me right here.
Tek-Tips is better than advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back