Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking MICS's & Central V Mail 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTone

Vendor
Feb 17, 2003
US
I have 2 MICS set up with PRI and MCDN keycodes and it works fine. The problem is when I call the remote site and the phone rings 4 times it will go to Voice Mail but it asks you for your password. Just like you were calling the voice mail to check your messages. I have done all of the programming in the Addendum for Voice Mail as a Centralized Voice Mail System. But when I do a test call it will still will go back like you are calling VC Mail. Is there someone out there who has done this before that might point me in the right direction. Any help is very appeicated. KDB

The only voip gateway that supports MCDN is the RAD VMux product The RAD product does this by encapsulating the traffic in other packets. It also offers significant compression of the voice traffic.
QSIG cannot be enabled easily on Norstar/BCM since it is only supported on these platforms by configuring the profile as non North American.
This has the effect of changing voice prompts, companion support, and possibly requiring E1 services as well.

David Brillert

You're kidding me, aragon... That is ass-backwards stupid. (of Nortel, not you)

How different is MCDN from Q.SIG? Just different enough to be incompatible?

Actually you might be the guy to ask. Is MCDN just the "key" name, and SL1 the protocol that the key enables? I guess what I'm asking is whether MCDN and SL1 are different protocols, or just different names for the same protocol.

Christ, this kind of assinine vendor lock-in is enough to make me want to buy a secondhand norstar system with the codes and reverse-engineer the entire protocol and blow it out on the Internet just to piss them off. Since it's a cleanroom reverse-engineer of a trade secret they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

MCDN is the correct protocol name.
Essentially they are the same.
Q.SIG is an open standard designed to support disparate vendors TIE trunking over PRI interfaces.
MCDN is proprietary Nortel to Nortel switching of TIE over PRI.

David Brillert

Yeah I spoke to our Nortel dealer about the MCDN license and apparently it's now called NAPN - Nortel Advanced Private Network. I do believe I'm going to get that ordered and see just how different it is from QSIG - I'm interfacing this to an Asterisk software PBX with hopes of doing the voicemail on Asterisk... so naturally I need a way to light up MWI and the CTI looks like crap. :)

Is there any reason why a NAM with DVCs cannot support centralized voicemail? Unless it will not support the latest NAM software, I am not aware of anything. Any help?

NVM 4.1 is required for centralized mail.
I am not aware of any issues with DVC based NAM's not supporting centralized mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back