Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking...how? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbay

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
US
Visit site
hello...i am on a mission and need a copilot and some serious guidance so as to not hurt myself or more importantly my computers...i have two computers, a printer, a laptop running 98se, an 8 port bub, 3 patch cords, nt server disc, nt wkstn disc ver 4.o for both discs...what next...how do i get them connected as one, as a network, what do i specifically need to do ...if i could comprehend the concepts in the books purchased and browsed already i would not be here....please help if you have the opportunity, you can email the procedure to me if you like...take care and thank you....james <p>james bay<br><a href=mailto:rgscom@aol.com>rgscom@aol.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>please bare with me with regard to my questions...i'm trying to comprehend the vast concepts as they apply to computers in general and at times forget the KISS philosophy and i do so appreciate your insights/step by step guidance and overall your generosi

Hi jbay<br><br>Im a bit of newbie at this, so if the powers that be beleive some of my advice is incorrect, please feel free to criticise.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is what I would do:<br><br>Step 1: Decide if you want a domain or a workgroup.&nbsp;&nbsp;Basically, for your setup I would use a workgroup. A domain is probably overkill for 3 pc's and a printer.<br><br>Step 2: Assuming you go for a workgroup, load workstation 4 on your PC's if you havent already done so. <br><br>Step 3: Install your network adapter card. Go to Control Panel - Networks - Adapter - Add.&nbsp;&nbsp;Im assuming you are planning to use 10 or 100 Base-T network adapter cards and that your patch cables are cat 5 with RJ45 terminators. <br><br>Step 4: Decide what network protocol you require - TCP/IP or NetBEUI.&nbsp;&nbsp;I use TCP/IP no matter what, but NetBEUI might be fine for you - its a matter of choice.&nbsp;&nbsp;If using NetBEUI, you give the computer name and workgroup name, thats about it.&nbsp;&nbsp;If using TCP/IP you will also have to give a static IP address - Ive been told 192.168.1.* will work for a private network.&nbsp;&nbsp;Ive used it successfully, so one can be 192.168.1.150 and so on.&nbsp;&nbsp;Install the correct protocol by Control Panel - Networks - Protocol Tab - Add. <br><br>Step 5: I usually create the workgroup accounts now, run usrmgr.exe and create the appropriate accounts or use the administrator if you'd rather not mess around.<br><br>Step 6: Connect the patch cable to the correct port in your network adapter card and connect to the hub.&nbsp;&nbsp;Reboot.&nbsp;&nbsp;If all went well, the hub should light up.&nbsp;&nbsp;I use Netgear and the right light shows connection while the left light will flash when data is being sent/received.&nbsp;&nbsp;Have a look at your Hub manual.<br><br>Step 7: Log in as the account you created/administrator and repeat all these steps on the other pc.&nbsp;&nbsp;You may have to use the same username & password on both machines to be able to share drives - thats what happened with mine - I had 1 NT and 5 95 and couldnt share data with different usernames & passwords.<br><br>Step 8: On the Win 98 laptop, add the network adapter card by: Control Panel - Networks - Configuration - Add - Adapter Card.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure you add the client - Client for Microsoft Networks and the correct protocol too. (All the PC's must use the same protocol or they wont talk) Your computer name and workgroup fo in the Identification tab section.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also put in some access control.&nbsp;&nbsp;To allow other pcs to access your data, click on File and Print Sharing and tick the 'Allow others to access my files'.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Step 9: Once you get everything working - this may take a few hours and several beers :) Connect your printer to the pc you want to use.&nbsp;&nbsp;Install it and click on sharing, give it a shared name and voila, others can access your printer.<br><br>I think thats it covered, but I;ll be happy to answer any questions.<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto:msedbbw@hotmail.com>msedbbw@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Working towards MCSE and looking for work overseas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back